igytomas (Tomas K.) | igytomas
Book Your Winter Holiday Today at http://tomastravel.co.uk/
unknown

Traffic Exchange - Fatal Consequences

Aug 3rd 2010 at 6:34 PM

In the last months I got signed-in to few Traffic Exchange services hoping for greater traffic and sales. Traffic and list as we know, are two most important factors for generating cash. But when your budget is less than 0 this is where you can get. Of course, blog and forum posts, social media and bookmarking sites, writing and publishing articles are all what has to be done but it may not be enough.

This is why I spent hours surfing/viewing other people sites, updating ads, generating/earning points, writing posts, making banners, adding codes and advertising other people products and those TE services too. Traffic to my sites began to grow.

But there was a small problem - most of this traffic was useless because you cannot specify from where you want this traffic and it comes from all over the world. If your service is local and you have limited bandwidth than you are doomed. The unwanted visitors will consume your bandwidth fast and they will be frustrated by getting to sites useless for them as well.

This may work great for any product/service which is global, such as eBooks, translations or remote work. You can use free TE or pay for it and sit tight waiting for visitors and maybe converting them.

Maybe, because your traffic comes from like-minded marketers who click on links or view sites being displayed to them and what is worst they are NOT interested in your products/services! They selling themselves and this is why they do what you do, clicking or watching or both.

This fake traffic generated artificially in my humble opinion, does no good to you.

I learned this hard way, now you do not have to.

I have added some sites here some there and not even remembering/realizing that there was an Adsense code. BIG mistake! I was looking for traffic mainly for product or service being offered on my sites, Google Adsense was just an addition, not important as it wasn't generating any revenue.

The net result off TE was loss of Google AdSense account by breach of T&C. But how can you remember all those T&Cs you went through if at all? Yes, sad but please be aware and never put Google Adsense ads on the sites you intend (or at least check if there is none) to promote with TE type services, paid or free as it doesn't matter.

Google is strict, scrupulous and ruthless. No discussion, no explanation, no excuses or apologies work. It doesn't matter if you did this by mistake, lack of memory or not recent reading of T&C or on purpose - they will cut you off for ever. You can appeal but what can you do, how can you defend you position if you do not know (or was not told) what or where you have done wrong as not all is obvious and straight forward in T&Cs.

You can call me stupid, naive or careless. Yes, I made a mistake by not re-reading Google policies, however. Can you remember that you have added something that has such strict policies? It is good manners to remind one of wrongdoing first before cutting his/her head without warning. Most of us learn by making mistakes and this is good but you cannot correct your course of actions if you are not made aware of being on the wrong path. It may take some time for us to realize this ourselves.

So, my experience with TE is - don't be bothered, use adds on Facebook.

Oct 3rd 2013 at 4:23 PM by marty
sounds good

Jan 7th 2011 at 8:33 PM by surefireformula
Thank you for the sobering reminder concerning Google. No doubt one who uses TE must be ever aware of Google's policies.

Oct 13th 2010 at 4:04 PM by igytomas
JohnnyKid, blackfolder thank you for your good and encouraging comments. I will use AdBrite and will you know how it goes :)

Oct 13th 2010 at 2:43 PM by blackfolder1
I use traffic exchanges almost exclusively, as most of my sales come from them. Of course I write articles, blog, etc. too and use facebook ads but nothing for me works as good as traffic exchanges. The key is being in enough of them that are active. I am in 40 (yes 40!) and it takes a while to place all my ads every day- but I get sales every day so it is worth it. I do not bother too much with google.

Oct 4th 2010 at 6:16 AM by JohnnyKid
You ain't stupid, definitely. Being naive is normal, careless, yes, you were...sorry. But trial and error are very important if we're serious on making money online. You been there, done that, learned the lesson...i greet you for that and also for sharing your experience. I'm sure it will help other people. That AdSense situation can be over-commed by joining less strict AdNetworks, like AhHitz or AdBrite. -_0 Very useful article, that's what we need here!

Sep 24th 2010 at 5:40 PM by igytomas
Thank you guys for comments. Craft, you are right, can't agree more. My mistake, I think was to place websites on TE forgoting that adsense ads where placed there. Agree, splash or squeeze page would do the job very well without upsetting your real site and adsense account. :) However, for me is a bit too late :)

Sep 17th 2010 at 1:46 PM by GTBulmer
Hello, Igytomas: Thank you for this honest personal review of your experience with traffic exchanges. Different methods work for different people and the only way to know what works is to try it and test it. :-)

Aug 28th 2010 at 4:57 AM by philjansen
Thank you for a well informed article about Traffic Exchanges Igy. God Bless! - philjansen.com

Aug 15th 2010 at 7:56 AM by CraftCycler
I have found it is helpful to sign up for one of those free websites & build a splash page that provides a link to whatever page you are looking to promote on your own site. This way, you are not using up your bandwidth & Google is not seeing "fake" traffic to your own site. I do not use TEs all that much, but when I do, I make sure that I use this method to do so.