Beware the Twitter Spitterers

Aug 4th 2010 at 9:41 PM

What's a Twitter Spitterer?

Spitterer is a combination of the words spam and twitter(er) and I'm starting to notice a prevalence of what I call Spam being posted to Twitter.

Generally this Spam (Spitter) is automated and contains nothing but affiliate links to all sorts of rubbish.

Now Twitter is an incredible phenomenon and used correctly can be a great networking vehicle as shown in my blog post about creating business opportunities with Twitter but as with all phenomenons there is always somebody looking to make a fast buck out of it.

Hence the rash of software products that will "automatically get you followers"

Now, I have nothing against these products but the use of them leaves a lot to be desired (much like the use of autoresponders leaves a lot to be desired)

Here is a case in point.

Today I received an email from Twitter informing me that I have a new follower let's call him Toby Bot Tweeter.

Here's what Twitter told me about Toby

Toby has 8796 followers 2 Tweets and is following 9052 people

Either Toby has more relations than Wilbur the Rabbit or Toby is using software to automatically follow people, most of whom have followed him back.  Toby is never going to read my tweets,not today, next week or ever.

Toby is just interested in tweeting about his affiliate products to his list of followers. Toby knows absolutely nothing about building relationships.  He doesn't care about me or how I might be able to help him or the cool video I found of John Cleese and the cheese shop.

Toby's got all the answers - he's got some Twitter automated bot to do the work for him.

Sorry Toby.  I'm not interested.

The point here is that if we're not careful Twitter will be rendered useless by these marketing cretins who relentlessly pump out their affiliate links every three minutes.

Do yourself a huge favour, purge your twitter followers and keep only those who appear genuine.

Aug 26th 2010 at 2:00 AM by MarkHodgetts
Louise you're right the followers do drop off. Twitter is a great networking vehicle if used correctly. I fear that the software and the resultant abuse of the system could conceivably kill Twitter off
Aug 26th 2010 at 1:39 AM by lulubel
Nice article. I've started using Twitter recently, and I've been looking out for people who I seem to share interests with to follow, and most of the time they follow me back. Occasionally, when I follow someone, I must trigger this software, because I get a flood of new followers, and I've noticed a lot of them have huge numbers of followers, but hardly any tweets. If I follow them back, they stay on my followers list, but if I don't, they disappear, so I think the software must remove them after a few days.
Aug 25th 2010 at 6:27 PM by MarkHodgetts
Yes Chuck - far better to build a real legitimate presence through one network than have a cursory fleeting buy my product on a dozen
Aug 25th 2010 at 5:49 PM by ChuckBartok
And remember the numbers are not as important as the REAL relationships developed. You should have a Strategy for each social media activity. What is your Goal? How much Time willing to allocate Searching and following through?
Aug 25th 2010 at 5:39 PM by MarkHodgetts
Lynn Wilbur the Rabbit was my pet when I was about 5 - for some reason that name just popped into my head. Glad you liked it
Aug 25th 2010 at 5:38 PM by MarkHodgetts
Hi Kevin - you've nailed it. Actually I don't think that the people I'm mentioning are necessarily idiots and morons but I certainly think that they've been misled by people telling them all they need to do is senselessly spam everybody on every available medium they can find. IM is about relationship building and two little words that automated bots can't deliver dignity and respect
Aug 25th 2010 at 5:33 PM by kevinbailey
Interesting article and subject. There is always gonna be a certain percentage of idiots and morons in Internet Marketing. In the end its up to us to filter out the undesirables from the intelligent people that care about what they are doing.
Aug 25th 2010 at 5:18 PM by lynnm
LOL! Great article Mark, but I've really got to hand it to you for the "more relations than Wilbur the Rabbit" part.... hahahahaha :)