Things to Consider Before Getting a Web Based Project Management Software
Online collaborative project management can help solve many different traditional PM problems. Projects easily become tangled when they lack good project management planning and methodology. PM solutions and tools are necessary because they assist managers in defining and tracking tasks, noting their dependencies, and identifying various mission-critical events—including those that should be completed, even minimally, before a certain project goes live. Traditional PM tools bring challenges such as slow project updates. This makes the idea of online, collaborative project management a very enticing concept for businesses.
Cloud-based project management help facilitates real-time collaboration using sets of standardized tools. However, subscribing to this approach also requires much consideration on the part of the management. Here are some things you should consider before adopting web-based project management:
- Remember that you are buying a tool and not necessarily a cure for poor project management. These programs help make up for the deficiencies of older, and more traditional management tools, but they cannot cure poor management. A project manager must also have technical command of the enterprise to maximize the use of these instruments and address problems.
- Don't forget to introduce the new system to the team. Whenever switching work methodologies, it is crucial to ease each member of the team into the new system to lessen the anxiety that they most likely feel about the change. When team members are well informed about the change to come, the will perform better, and the switch will achieve its intended success.
- Pilot the new methodology and isolate small projects so teams can see how well the new collaborative design works within your business environment and context. This will also help you identify culture change points you may have to implement to facilitate more success in projects.
- Decide how to handle task dependencies. Managers with an overall handle and knowledge of the project must be the ones to put in task dependencies so tasks can effectively be delegated and de-centralized among the proper individuals and team members. This will also ensure good resource allocation for the project.
- Verify project report accuracy. When people are empowered to complete tasks assigned to them, they have a sense of ownership of the work they do. However, there is still a possibility that tasks can be over or under-estimated, which is why it is important to verify the accuracy of every project report, to ensure that the project is indeed on track.
- Finally, choose a reliable vendor that offers good support and development to ensure scalability of the business.
About the Author:
Customer Support Executive Celoxis Technologies