followers view all
|expertslogin is not in any groups|
|linux commands cheat sheet pdf, basic linux commands, linux command, linux tr, boot process in linux, boot process of linux, booting process in linux, softlink linux, linux firewall, troubleshooting linux, linux troubleshooting, linux howto, ubuntu howto, linux iptables, linux shell script|
Installing multiple OS on single computer with Ubuntu
Dual booting operating system means you can have different operating system on your PC. Both of these OS will take up the hard disk space. But, while using one OS e.g. Ubuntu, you won’t be able to use the other one. For example, in this article we will be discussing about dual booting of Ubuntu and Mac OS on Intel platform. So, the question is how to do dual boot of Ubuntu and Mac? It is really not difficult task. You can also get different guides and Ubuntu howto related to this. But, here I would like to discuss some basic steps that would surely help the readers to get some hands on.
Note: make sure to backup all your data while performing this task.
1 Installation of rEFIt
In normal PC, the GRUB is a boot loader that takes care of your dual booting but for Intel Mac users; you need to install some extra package called ‘rEFIt’. This is a kind of boot-interrupter which helps us to boot between these two operating systems. This package is generally installed from Mac OS and you don’t require using lots of other techniques to install it.
Download the image file rEFIt-0.14.dmg and mount it.
Then in the file system of this double click and find “rEFIt.mpkg” package.
Follow simple instructions and choose the Mac OS volume as destination volume.
If all the things goes correct then you would be able to see rEFIt menu while you restart the computer.
2 Resizing the disk of Mac OS
- Next step is to make some free space in your HDD to install Ubuntu. This can be easily done through Mac OS X. Steps do the same are:
- Open Disk Utility in Mac OS
- Select the main HDD from left panel
- Select the ‘Partition’ tab
- Click ‘+’ sign at the bottom window and create a new partition by simply dragging slider. Size of partition can also be give manually.
- Now, format and click Apply.
3 Rebooting the System with Live CD.
- Once you are ready just enter the Live CD in the drive and reboot the system.
- Press ‘C’ after the start beep so that it will boot from Live CD.
4 Installation of Ubuntu on desired partition
- You can proceed with the installation of Ubuntu on the free space that was created before. Ubuntu will prompt you to install the same. If it does not ask then make sure to cross check the thing before proceeding further.
- If you are not sure, click on Advanced partitioning screen and then select free space and choose EXT4 file system when prompted. Create a mount point ‘/’.
- With the help of partition editor from Live CD this is going to be easy process.
- If you want you can also add swap space.
- After, the partition is created follow remaining steps from the Live CD and completes the Installation of Ubuntu.
- Once everything is set just reboot your computer and select Linux from your ‘rEFIt’ boot loader.
This basic guide would really help the users to get idea on how to dual boot Ubuntu with Mac OS on Intel platform.
This Article is written by Bobbin Zachariah, who is also associated with ExpertsLogIn. He is passionate lover of Linux and other opensource tools. In early 2000, he started his career in IT and Linux. Love travelling, Technology writer, Blogging, Music and Enjoy the company with friends and family.
|share||like 9||report||95 views|