How to choose dedicated servers?
Finding good yet affordable Dedicated Servers is a bit tricky. However, for a business, aiming to go online, it is the first thing you need to do. Here are some guidelines on choosing the right dedicated server for your website; one that is compatible with your budget, technology requirements and business nature.
- First, you need to decide on the operating system. Microsoft Windows dedicated server is best to host Microsoft IIS or ASP.NET code. For php or MySQL (LAMP) or Apache or Ruby on Rails, Linux server is best.
- Depending upon the stack, you may need a server with considerable RAM. Companies usually offer two choices, either 8-16 GB RAM or 16- 128 GB RAM.
- A multi processor CPU like Xeon 4cores can be a wise choice.
- If you are going to host images, videos or other multimedia elements, you will need considerable bandwidth and uplink speed. A bandwidth of 20000 GB/ month should be enough.
- If system administration seems like a rocket science to you, better choose a managed service. A good web hosting company usually offers free support in set up, load balancing, clustering etc.
- While choosing a dedicated server, always keep in mind the uptime issue.
While buying a dedicated server, you must take in account different components of the total cost.
- Check and compare the monthly price of the dedicated server.
- Find the companies which offer free set up.
- Also look for the software licensing fees and upgradation fees. Though these prices are usually visible only when you entire the buying process.
- Decide on your expected traffic and compare that with the offered bandwidth. See how much additional traffic can cost you?
- Also calculate additional costs associated with training of the personnel, recovery from downtime, back up and data recovery etc.
Once you have taken in account all these costs, calculate the total cost of ownership and compare with other hosting companies with equal RAM or Bandwidth packages.
Depending upon the specialties of your business, you may require some additional services from your dedicated server.
- First, you may need a very secure server which is all time protected from DoS or DDoS attacks. For the best results, choose a company which offers the most modern and updated DoS and DDoS mitigation technology.
- You may require a server which can intelligently handle large size files.
- If your site is an e-commerce site, you will require security as well as integrity of data.
- You may require additional services like e-mail or calendar.
- Suitability with any application and security for online games may be prime requirements of your business.
- How soon the company can deliver the system? It shouldn’t more than take 2 to 3 days.
After considering all these aspects, surely you will land up at a hosting company that will assist you in building the online presence of your business with the help of their dedicated servers, even without the threat of online attacks.