Brian Pasch | automotiveseo

25 Year PC User Finally Moves To Mac

Nov 12th 2010 at 6:50 PM

Brian PaschToday I completed my transition from PC to Mac.  I gave my super-charged Dell Desktop in my office to Andrew Talcott. Now my computing hardware consists of a 27" iMac at home, a 17" MacBook Pro for office and travel, and an iPad for casual conversations that involve search.

My first computers were and Commodore 64, Radio Shack TRS-80, Apple IIe, Apple IIc and the Original IBM PC/XT.

In fact, in 1984 I published software with Prentice Hall for the Apple II and Radio Shack TRS-80 computers called the "Readability Machine".  When was the last time you heard someone talk about Radio Shack computers?

After years of PC advocacy (XT, 286, 386, 486, etc.) I am now I full-time Mac user and I am no longer afraid of that change.  Rich Galiano in my office said it best:

"The Mac takes away the uncertainty and mystery in personal computers.  You no longer have to guess how long it will take to boot up or if you will boot up at all!"

As I gave away my desktop PC today, the 5 minutes it took to boot and load all my software was a comforting reminder that I was making the right decision.  With web based computing and applications changing the way we communicate, that PC has just lost its stickiness.

So my two new Apple computers are loaded with Adobe Creative Suite 5 and the new Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac.  I'm loving my 27" iMac and am getting used to the keyboard on the MacBook Pro.  I love the fact that both boot in seconds and shutdown equally as fast.

I also love that my iPhone 4 integrates with my computers and that I have seamless integration of my email, data, and music.  I keep my iPad in my computer computer bag and carry it to business dinners in case I need to reference something on the Internet.

So, farewell PC!  The last 28 years have been filled with ups and downs but I can no longer waste 1-2 hours a week in downtime.  When you add up the boot-time and downtime each month on the PC compared to the Mac, most professionals will see that the Mac operating system pays for itself in 30 days.

Are you ready to change?

Tell me if you are a Mac or a PC in the comments below.

Brian Pasch, CEO

PCG Digital Marketing

Nov 14th 2010 at 11:56 AM by automotiveseo
Andrew, that's what I was told when Windows 7 came out. The OS was still slow and a dog. So you can live in denial.
Nov 14th 2010 at 11:53 AM by flconversation
Hi Brian, wonderful article. Although I am privately still using PC I know, that the next generation here will be a MAC - simple fantastic. What I like a little bit less is the SAFARI browser. So good work with your MAC!
Nov 13th 2010 at 11:47 AM by andrewjschmitt
Windows 8 will make all mac users eat their words, as long as you know how to keep your registry nice and clean windows is the best
Nov 13th 2010 at 9:00 AM by automotiveseo
Jesse, it was easy to connect to the shared server once you know its name. You use Finder, Go, Connect To Server, and once you login as a guest or with a password you have your files at your finger tips.
Nov 13th 2010 at 5:58 AM by mbmotorsports
I've been using PC ever since & had an Apple iphone since it first came out (now on iphone 3gs. I owned an ipad for a couple of weeks but then traded it in for a mac book pro since the ipad to me was like carrying around a large iphone. I love the mac book pro. Starts up lightning fast (almost like it was never off). I'm still trying to get used to the operating system and shortcuts on the mac and I think I'm catching on. It just seems like there are so many parts of the computer that i don't know about whereas on the PC it's like a part of me. The best is when I'm on my mac book pro at home, logged in to my work PC using Logmein Pro and I'm trying to figure out the shortcuts. I guess when I master that I'll be ready to move into the mac world permanently! Question - How hard is it to get on a Dell PC network with shared drives from a mac?