Types of attorneys you may hire when your company is in trouble
Just like doctors, attorneys are also increasingly becoming focused in their practice areas. An attorney, who manages mostly real estate closings, wills, as well as other non-litigation matters, would probably not be a good option for business litigation. You would require the below-mentioned skills.
Skills a business attorney should have:
1. Contracts- You’ll want a Ft. Lauderdale business lawyer who would understand your company quickly and prepare the contracts that you need with your clients, customers, or suppliers and help you in responding to the contracts which other people would ask you to sign.
2. Real Estate- the leases of commercial properties like retail outlets and offices are quite complex and they’re drafted to solely benefit the landlord. Since they generally tend to be printed from form documents, you might assume that they’re not negotiable. Depending on a variety of factor, the Ft. Lauderdale business law firm you choose should be able to help you understand the lease and negotiate more favourable terms.
3. Negotiation- when looking for a business attorney, you want someone who has negotiated significant business deals.
4. Litigation- In the event of a business dispute, you want an attorney who is comfortable in the courtroom and has litigation experience. Even when litigation doesn’t seem plausible, it’s a good idea to have an experienced litigation attorney review transactional documents in an attempt to “poke holes” in the documents and revise them in an effort to avoid litigation.
Questions you should ask the attorney
· Experience- you should not be afraid of asking questions about the experience of the attorney.
· Connections- No attorney know sever thing about each and every possible legal implication. In case your company has specific legal requirements, the attorney needs to be either familiar with that particular area or should have an active relationship with a person who actually is.
· Other clients- the attorney should be familiar with you sector as well as its legal implications. If he is not aware of it, then he should try to learn about them.
· Flexibility in billing- you should discuss the attorney’s fee structure up front and make sure you are comfortable with the arrangement and fully understand the expectations placed on each party.
Following these tips can help you in your search to find the right attorney for your business needs.