Groups
weedermann is not in any groups

Interests

Personal fitness and inner betterment.

I read a great deal - fiction, sci-fi/fantasy, alternative social viewpoints, occult/metaphysics

Music: 70% Classical (Brahms, Mendelssohn, Tchaikovsky, Wagner, Schumann, Mozart, Prokofiev, Rachmaninoff, Schubert, Beethoven, Faure) Beatles, Bread, Steely Dan, assorted 70s Soft-Rock, 80s pop and rock.

Sports (participant:) brisk walking and weight-training, (watching:) track and field, PGA, professional basketball, Olympics, swimming, womens gymnastics

I\'d love to generate a steady, plentiful income for extensive travel and to be of some service to those around me.
DemetriusB | weedermann

Necessities for the Homeless Online Professional

Jul 22nd 2010 at 4:27 PM

These are slippery times in the US and the chances of homelessness are much greater than you think. In the era of "At Will" employment, a worker can lose a job--RIGHT NOW, with no warning or reason. In such a case, unless you are a salaried professional, there will be no severance--so you are screwed. What would you do; how would you cope?

Yes, there's unemployment benefits, which generally you will qualify for and have for six months. Of course that equates to about 40% of your highest 3 consecutive months of income. Do you think you'll be able to make do, to cover all of your immediate debts and be able to sock a little away into your savings account? Unless you are fortunate to find work within 6 months, you will exhaust your benefits and be left with no income. Perhaps if Congress is in a good mood, there may be an extension available--and then maybe not.

Too many people in traditional jobs never consider the internet as a legitimate income medium. Because you are reading this here, presumably YOU do. Whether you've yet generated money online or not, you are actively involved and the effort is real. So if you were suddenly on the street with just a backpack, your work would still be intact. But you would need other elements to ensure continuity.

· A wireless laptop with working battery

· A verified Paypal account linked to your bank account

· Skype (and a headset to use it)

If you are a homeless online professional, a decent wireless laptop is "de rigueur". Yes, there are probably computers at the library, but you'd have to deal with the wait, the total lack of privacy, the heavy time restrictions, and the limiting effects of installed firewalls.

Look into purchasing your own wireless laptop. It's becoming common for entire cities to be havens for wireless signals, certainly all of the coffee shops (and what's left of the bookstores) offer hours of free wireless in exchange for custom. So much better than dealing with the library.

Download Skype. For $2.99 a month, you can dial any phone in the US and Canada and talk as long as you like at no additional cost. For another $30 a year, you may have a private number (with voicemail) where you can be reached. You'll need a headset to do all this and Skype has a superb one (FREETALK Everyman) which sells for about $20. So, between Skype and your cell phone, the world, telephonically, is your oyster.

Get a free Paypal account and upgrade it (for free) to Premier (or Business). Link it to your bank account so the "PayPal team" can verify the Paypal account. Paypal can't affect your bank account, cannot initiate any transaction AWAY from it, but they CAN deposit money in the same way that employers enact direct deposits.

With Premier/Business accounts, Paypal kicks in a free Mastercard debit card so you can draw on money stored in your account. Speaking of which, Paypal is the world's primary payment mercantile and many free/inexpensive businesses like Micasa ClubTE Profits, Clickbank guru Harvey Segal’s SuperTips. Do this NOW; lay the groundwork for these "set it up and forget about it" businesses and tie them to PayPal. You will be damned glad to reap the fruits of your foresight with timely sales at poignant future moments, for potentially years to come.

Oct 12th 2014 at 7:09 PM by patsyjpayne
I like your story and suggesstions

Sep 27th 2011 at 12:01 PM by LonnieG
With the dynamics of the economies of the world changing so rapidly it does make sense to put things in place that allow you to earn money from online activities ... no matter where you happen to be. ~LonnieG http://MyEasyProfits.info

Sep 13th 2010 at 3:03 PM by deewest
Very interesting Article and heartfelt comments. Thank you for sharing Best Wishes to Your Success!

Sep 9th 2010 at 4:20 PM by timeout
An amazing article for people in need. This type of help is few and far between in the daily life of an IM marketer, I am usually bombarded with promises of riches, and the "believe it' and "it will happen" type of hype, This article you have written IS REAL. Life is not always fair and this will be a help to many people .

Sep 9th 2010 at 1:26 AM by paulgermana
This is a reality for me right now. I think about these things often nowadays. I will NOT give up. Thanks for the encouraging article :)

Sep 8th 2010 at 7:03 AM by blackfolder1
I cannot imagine what it would be like to be homeless, fortunately, my home is paid for. However, yes, I still have to pay the utilities, credit card bills, etc. It took me about two years online before I started making any real money, so if I would have been homeless, I guess I would have stayed that way! But now I make my living exclusively online. If you want to know how, see my faceplate!

Aug 24th 2010 at 7:37 AM by yhbecpublisher
Hi Demetrius, I wanted to say I think this is a fantastic way to help people. I found myself on the street only briefly due to my inability to stay with my husband and can only imagine what it must be like for those who face days, weeks or longer there.

I was lucky enough to go to a hospital who sent me to a shelter and my life improved from there due my own efforts mainly. Keep up the good work!

Aug 11th 2010 at 1:22 AM by fredds
This is a great article Demetrius. In these times, which most people are finding to be very uncertain - you said it all in the very first sentence of your article: "These are slippery times In the US and the chances of homelessness are much greater than you think," your article offers great tips and advice not to just the homeless people but to even those with jobs as they may lose their jobs at any moment

Aug 8th 2010 at 5:35 PM by kashmier
Great article Demetrius

Aug 2nd 2010 at 4:57 PM by visionary
I totally agree with all you wrote and have all the things in place that you mentioned with the exception of Skype. I always feel that I am one paycheck from the streets, even though I have a job. It's just something I think about constantly and hope to make it to retirement with something decent to live on.

Jul 28th 2010 at 11:15 AM by Denlac101
I lived in a tent for 4 months last year lucky I had a laptop and the internet

Jul 26th 2010 at 8:33 AM by entrepromama
This was a great article. Approx 8 years ago, I found myself in this terrible situation of being homeless. I had my husband and my two children and it was just difficult to maintain any type of "normal life". I was fortunate to find a place to live but didn't know anything about working online at the time. Today, this is all I am striving to do, work from home online. I believe this is a great article because you are letting people know options and there is still hope for anyone who is still looking for work and just can't get a job. Working online is an option WHILE you are in that down slump for work. May your efforts reach someone who is down and out and give them hope.

Jul 23rd 2010 at 1:25 PM by teach91
A thought provoking article my friend. Indeed, we do live in troubling times but like you said, with a little pre planning, a trusty Laptop, and a few additional online essentials, we can still remain plugged into the World and all it has to offer. Unless you're a Fortune 500 company, Anyone who believes that the government will bail them out when they lose their jobs is in for an Eye opening experience as your article alludes to. "At Will" employment? Yeah- "Been There, Done That, Got the Tee-Shirt" Thank You Very Much...lol Anyway, IMHO the BEST insurance against possibly losing everything that you've worked so hard for while slaving for an unappreciative Employer is to take advantage of (Now, before its to late) the Tremendous opportunities that the Internet affords us. Sure, you may to have to wade through TONS of bogus opportunities (Beware of Scammers), but that's a part of your Online education. Just be sure to complete your own "Due Diligence" on every income opportunity that you're drawn to. I Pray that none of our members here ever has to endure being Homeless. But the reality of our countries present economic condition should be a "Wake-Up" call for all of us to Take Action Now. Great article and thanks for sharing...

Jul 22nd 2010 at 10:39 PM by roblawson
Thank you for the skype tip Demetrius, makes a person think