followers view all
following view all
|dayle is not in any groups|
Just My Opinion . . . What Is a Team? and Being a Good Leader
Just my opinion . . . What Is A Team? and Being a Good Leader
Over the years, I have been involved in a lot of different scenarios, both with good and not-so-good teams and leaders. It took me many years of frustration and hard work to climb the corporate ladder and be recognized as being able to do the same job, as well if not better, than those that had held the positions for years. I look back on it now and shudder at the memories of having a target on my back and always having to prove myself as a young career woman. It shouldn’t have been that way – but, unfortunately it was and sometimes today still is. At the time, it made no sense, and made me angry because I had paid and earned the same education and gained the same knowledge as my male counterparts, but felt I had to work even harder to get there. I know it doesn’t sound fair, but honestly I wouldn’t change the chain of events as they happened, because I gained insight to many different management styles as well as strength. It turned out that of all my managers above me through the years, I preferred the men over the women. The women, like I did, had struggled to get where they were and felt they had to keep up the “ice woman” attitude, which sometimes came across as cold and uncaring. Lol Boy, I wish I knew then what I know now! It was not fun, very stressful and robbed me of a lot of years, not to mention a reputation!
Society has bred a lot of us with old fashioned values and opinions, some of those include that the woman is the nurturer of the family and keeps the household in tact, while the man heads out into the world and works for a living, whether it be on the corporate ladder or in the trenches. The reality of today is that men and women have been sharing these roles for many, many years. Over the last few years, it’s improved in the work place with women getting recognition and compensated accordingly, and more and more men are opting to stay at home with their families and creating stronger bonds with their children. Leadership roles are changing everywhere.
During my corporate years, I formed my own opinions on what it meant to be a “good leader”, and the definition of a “team”. Don’t confuse this with the roles of a boss and an employee, because I do feel that the role of a boss will always hold superiority over the employee. Although, input from employees and consideration of their thoughts and ideas help a good boss manage his/her team and build relationships.
As a leader, I feel . . .
• It’s most important to always allow your teammates to have a voice, whether it be their own or through another team member.
• The leader shouldn’t be the only opinion that matters.
• Never, ever discount your teammates’ abilities. Remember that they all bring something to the table, and everyone is valuable. Often times, you’ll have teammates that are highly educated in the same or different area that you are, but just haven’t found their voice yet. It is critical NOT to alienate these individuals and instead embrace them and their value.
• Remember, not one person or a group of persons on the team is “king” or “queen”.
• I like to think along the lines that a leader is also a good coordinator, and has resources and answers at his/her fingertips at all times.
• The leader should be readily available to everyone and responsive to requests in a timely fashion. The last thing you want is for a teammate to feel that he/she has been “hung out to dry” or left behind.
• Communication is KEY and allows the team to flourish together.
Remember, don’t act like a know-it-all, as this only turns people away – instead be that strong leader that understands the needs of your team, and that can point and coordinate people in the right direction for the answers and resources at a moment’s notice, if you don’t have them yourself.
To Your Success!
|share||like 51||report||558 views|