* Have your cholesterol measured regularly.
* Provide sufficient exercise and avoid obesity.
* Avoid common sugars, such as syrup, table sugar and sugar-sweetened drinks.
* Reduce total fat (saturated fats) in food and increase the amount of complex carbohydrates (vegetables, grain products) and increase fiber intake.
* Max 2 cup of coffee per day and smoking. the great cholesterol lie
Cholesterol. Right or wrong. Too high or too low. We shoot the target over the screws down the cholesterol in our blood? Is it right that 75 percent of the population be called 'high cholesterol' gets stuck? How is that actually that with cholesterol? Is it wise to swallow or preventive means using products that lower cholesterol levels?
See Martin, cardiologist at Medical Spectrum Twente: "Numbers are not everything."
"LDL (Low Density Lipoprotein) cholesterol is bad. Of little you have in your blood, HDL (High Density Lipoprotein) cholesterol is good. This value is actually higher. So when we talk about high cholesterol, we mean a too high level of LDL. "
"Too high LDL certainly plays a role in causing heart disease, but the numbers of good and bad cholesterol flying past your ears. From industry and the general practitioners there is a push for that" numbers "to treat . But you need not only to numbers look, but also to the person. It is often forgotten. I mean that in my opinion not so obvious to people who, according to the figures too high LDL cholesterol, preventive cholesterol lowering drugs to prescribe. "