Rapid Weight Loss In Dogs – Is This Something To Be Worried About?
While losing some weight is beneficial to overweight dogs, unexplained rapid weight loss can have negative repercussions. There are several health problems that could cause rapid weight loss in dogs:
· There is reduced intake of calories as a result of poor appetite. One common cause is gum and teeth problems that make eating painful
· Disease affecting the digestive tract may interfere in the absorption of calories from the intestine
· An underlying health condition, such as diabetes mellitus, may reduce the ability of the body to utilize calories
· Bouts of vomiting and/or diarrhea, as well as kidney problems can cause an increased loss of calories
· Neoplasia is often associated with increased requirement of calories
Since there are varied reasons why a dog can lose weight in a relatively short length of time, it is important to bring him to the vet as soon as you notice unexplained weight loss. The underlying problem may be serious but early detection may help improve prognosis.
For more details about pet’s care, you can click on given link.
|share||like 2||report||128 views|