· Invite Your Friends
· The Admins Huddle
· Make your free Website with Blogger!
· Websites Made Easy
· Faceplate Features
· Leave your feedback here!
· IM faceplate Fans Unite
· Adzly widget
· Free Traffic

I recently re-discovered my passion for anything vintage, especially jewelry. This discovery sadly came about with the death of my dearly loved Mother. Trying to liquidate some of her estate awakened my passion. After many days of research I found a site where I could create a shop to sell some of her things. I soon realized that I too, had many vintage items which I no longer used. After many, many weeks of hard work, I finally had it up and running, although there is still much to be done. I find as time goes by, my passion grows. And last but not least, I also re-discovered my joy at spending time with much loved my family.
Phyllis McClintock | phylma
Are you a vintage lover? For fab jewelry, handbags & misc. other items please visit
1 year ago

Why Do You Need to Build a List?

Jul 24th 2010 at 11:11 AM

Why Do You Need to Build a List?

I’m sure most business owners would agree, including me, that without a plan your business doesn’t stand a chance in… well... you know where. It’s like target practicing in the dark… hoping you hit the target; fat chance of that happening. A huge part of the ‘road map’ you need to build your business includes finding people. These people will become the base you use in order for your business to grow.

List building is an essential task to finding your customer base. ‘Why do I need a list?’ you might ask. Without a list there is just no way to predict what the outcome of your business will be from month to month… let alone from year to year.

One school of thought says, if you have a big enough campaign, people will come. That may be true, but will they stay or only come once? Even if you make a gazillion bucks on one promotion it won’t sustain your business forever if you never see any of those customers again.

Now, we are not talking about making that kind of money here, at least not yet. So to keep things real - one-time sales are not the stuff a solid business foundation is made of. Building relationships with people is the key to a sound foundation for the future of your business.

What a List Can Do for You & Your Business

Let’s say you’re selling a product door-to-door (I know you've probably seen this example used before). The first time you visit a neighborhood you go to every house on the block because you don’t know who might be interested in your product. After chatting a few moments you will quickly learn which people are interested in your product enough to buy. From those customers you ask for contact information on other people who may be interested in your product.

A couple months down the road maybe you decide to offer a new product. Instead of canvassing the entire neighborhood again, what do you do? You visit the people who purchased the first time. Besides giving them information about your new product you also bring a flyer offering them a free gift if they recommend two friends who would be interested in your new product. What just happened here? Instead of the original 20 names you had on your list, you now have 40 more to add to that list.

This is sorta how list building works online too. Your first efforts will cast a net over a group of people. The catch will consist of people interested in your market but not necessarily the product you're providing. Through marketing efforts on your website, and through other sites, you'll weed out those who are really outside of your market leaving you with a group of people who ARE interested in what you have to offer.

For future offerings you can just go straight to the most interested parties and make your pitch. Each time you visit them you can find more and more people to add to your list.

List building takes the guess work out of marketing. The money you spend is more effective if you know where to concentrate your efforts. Once you build a substantial list it can seem like you make the sale every time. Sales will increase but not because you're lucky – it’s because you were smart. Like a fisherman, you learned the best place to find what you're looking for, so you dropped your line and came up with the catch of the day!

You can learn more about using your email marketing efforts more effectively with the free tips you'll receive from

Apr 27th 2011 at 11:19 AM by phylma
It took me a while to learn that valuable lesson too. But as they say... better late than never!!
Apr 26th 2011 at 7:11 PM by ThatFreeThing
I'm finding out the money is in the list! I just joined a new network marketing company that is all about list building for 2 bucks a month. I've paid a lot more and got a lot less. It took me almost 2 years to figure out the money is in the list.
Oct 9th 2010 at 2:03 PM by phylma
Thank you Catherine. I learned that key from a well know guru who is also my mentor. And then I had to learn it again the hard way :-D
Oct 9th 2010 at 1:59 PM by catherinedwhite
Hi Phyliss, I enjoyed your article and appreciate this KEY POINT: "So to keep things real - one-time sales are not the stuff a solid business foundation is made of. Building relationships with people is the key to a sound foundation for the future of your business." A one time sale may put money in your pocket now but a life time customer will help you build a residual income. Great perspective.
Oct 3rd 2010 at 9:03 AM by phylma
I agree with you that offline as well as online list building is important. We must make list building out #1 priority in order to succeed.
Oct 2nd 2010 at 6:05 PM by swom
I think list building is essential. Online and offline! Offering a gift if they give you more prospects to ad to your list is a great idea.