· Traffic Exchange Fans!
· Law of Attraction Marketing and Resources
· Jon Olson Sucks!
· Personal Branding
· The L Team
· WordPress Questions

I'm a keen internet marketer, and owner of HitsBoosterPro traffic exchange. To relax, I enjoy online gaming (I'm a big fan of World of Warcraft), occasional running and cycling, and relaxing at my home in Spain with my family.
Louise Venison | lulubel

Who are you promoting?

Aug 6th 2010 at 8:41 AM

There's a lot of talk in the discussion groups here at IM faceplate about personal branding.  Some people say it's critical to create your own online identity, others claim you'll be more successful as part of a team.

If you listen to the first group, you'll believe that any promotion that doesn't include your name and photo (and preferably an opt-in form for your subscriber list) is a waste of time and money.  If your name isn't on it, you're wasting a valuable opportunity to get yourself seen and heard.

The second group will tell you that working alone is a painfully hard and slow process.  You'll make more money quicker (and you'll be less likely to give up altogether) by working with a team of people all promoting the same program.

Both arguments have some merit.

The biggest problem people face with online marketing is drop-out rate.  People drop out of programs, or stay a member but stop promoting, for various reasons.  Maybe they joined too many programs and overstretched themselves, maybe they only joined to look around and then decided it wasn't for them after all, maybe life happened and they just forgot about it.  Or perhaps - and this is the biggest reason of all - they didn't make any money.

The team concept goes some way to address this problem.  If you join an active team, during or just before a period of heavy growth, you should make some money fairly quickly.  But team builds do slow down (even the new kind that require minimum activity levels from all members).  The bottom of the downline gets wider and wider, there are more people marketing to less potential customers, and it takes longer for the new members to get their first 3, or 5, or whatever the number is.

I'm not suggesting you'll NEVER get your referrals if you come into a team build "late", just that there comes a point when it might have been quicker to do it on your own.

And here we come back to personal branding.

All that time you've spent promoting the team is worth nothing if the team leader decides enough is enough.  It's slowed down too much, new members aren't happy, people have stopped promoting and are leaving in droves.  It's time to shut it down.  All the people you've referred just disappear.

Working for yourself, getting your name and photo recognised, networking and building relationships might be a slower way to make money, but it's a more sustainable way.  When the current wave of "next big things" disappears, the relationships you have built, and the people who have come to know you, will still be there.

Promoting yourself requires a shift in expectations.  My grandfather said this to me about starting a business when I was very young:

"In your first year, you'll make a loss.  In your second year, you might be lucky and break even. In your third year, if you're REALLY lucky, you might start to make a profit."

Those words have stuck with me, not because turning a profit is such an exact science, but because of the time scales involved.  He talked about years.  Not days, weeks, or even the months we think it will take to make loads of money, leave our jobs, and live happily ever after.  Years.

To be successful in business, you need a lot of things.  Commitment, determination, patience, and the respect of your peers.  How can you earn people's respect if no-one knows who you are?

Use what you have.

Put your name and your face next to everything you promote, and everything you say.  Give people a chance to get to know you.  Take the time to connect with other people and build relationships.

Promote yourself, and the rest will naturally follow.

You can read more about personal branding and how to make it work for you on my traffic exchange blog.

Nov 6th 2013 at 4:01 AM by foxychops
interesting, I agree with zeus
Sep 23rd 2013 at 1:23 AM by zeus8894
The leading cause of fallout is hype. The program being sold on high expectations and then reality doesn't live you to the dream. I am one that believes in personal branding and limited co-op advertising where you work with a set group over and over to achieve result together. Viral Teams as you say have an expiration date. Working together in a co-op allows each marketer to chip in small dollars and a bit of time and get the power of a larger team and bigger advertising budget. It affords luxuries like being able to skip the hype, personally mentor, and maintain your own control over your integrity. In many team builds you team will add hype to slow the die off and still be signing your name on the end result. There is little to no control in them. A better way to achieve a constantly growing team co-op is to have a set progression. We will all pay $20 a month for 3 months and cap the team at 50 members then we will raise the chip in to $30 for 3 months and each invite 5 of our top referrals to join the co-op so now instead of 50 we have a team of 300 all adding $30 a month generating $9,000 a month in advertising budgets. 3 months later the team opens another 5 slots and goes to $40 a month for 6 months. It staggers growth and allows you to direct mentor 5 members at a time until they are strong enough to mentor 5 more of their own. Andy
Sep 14th 2013 at 5:10 AM by marty
Thanks for useful article. Cheers, mc
Jul 14th 2013 at 7:06 AM by marvin62
Louise,thanks very much for sharing this article and I agree with it 100%,God Bless:))))
Jul 6th 2013 at 9:22 AM by affili13
I am still learning about personal branding. Also believe we need to know everything there is to know about a program we are promoting as our brand, so when our referrers have questions we can answer and don't look like a fool. For instance I signed up for EZ Wealth Solution I had a bunch of questions, and my upline member keep referring me to the site "to me this meant my upline member didn't know everything there is to know about EZ Wealth Solution so I signed up under someone else who studied the program.
Mar 14th 2013 at 4:57 AM by mrpthai
Thank, I post everyday and everything is post true only.
Sep 29th 2011 at 11:50 AM by LonnieG
So true, Louise. There are some things I take the time to more fully consider just based on the person that is providing the information ... and that means I already know, like and trust that person enough to want to know more about what they are saying. ~LonnieG
Jan 19th 2011 at 12:12 PM by nostate
Shared on fb and liked. Return the favor?
Dec 27th 2010 at 9:33 AM by TerriLPattioMLMmento
You expressed yourself very well in this article. Thanks for sharing your insights about this very important subject.
Dec 8th 2010 at 10:23 PM by nifty
Great Article and very true advice. Thank you for posting this. I started out and am still building my "brand" but am also working and love the team building with one of my business ventures. Both are thriving and although both are still in the infant stage, I really love whats happening. Plus I'm meeting so many new people, it's great!
Dec 2nd 2010 at 1:59 PM by drkelp
Thanks for this. I will take the slow path. I am a team player but I am obviously motivated to get my name and face out there. I have also been burnt by team collapse. Another thoughtful article.
Nov 17th 2010 at 3:28 AM by CoolBreezeZone
I read your article. I was about to take my face off of some links that I put my face on. I feel that I don't get as much hits because people see that I am African-American. I think my face will stay on the links, for now. I am a member of HitsBoosterPro. Thank-you for your article.
Nov 6th 2010 at 11:36 AM by jfbmarketing
Very well wwritten and excellent ideas and concepts we all can remind our self's about...Enjoyed but more importantly l gain some new found knowledge thanks to this article and your talents....
Oct 14th 2010 at 5:45 PM by insidmal
Excellent post as Usual, Louise.
Oct 5th 2010 at 3:21 AM by flconversation
Hello Louise, thanks for your article and your TE, that I'm using with great pleasure. Referring to 'personal branding': When you are starting the Internet business as a part-time marketer, you are doing your first steps, trying out here, trying out there, to my opinion it is not a good idea to brand yourself. When people who are knowing you off-line in a certain field which has nothing to do with your Internet activity are searching for you they will find you and will see you active in the one ore other program, social network etc. Until my Internet business isn't as good as I like it, I don't want to have it to know to others (off-line). Branding with your real name makes you very vulnerable, transparent which sometimes can bring you also a negative side effect. But after having done a lot of foolish things in the beginning, I now say: when someone start his online biz, he's well able to brand himself with a pseudonym. It's good to think about it before starting...
Oct 2nd 2010 at 11:03 PM by jonesgore
Great article Louise! I was just watching a video the other last night that that talking about some of the things you mentioned. One of the things that stuck out was the suggestion of learning from other but not depending on other to build your business which is reflected in the team build concept. Learning from others in your team or our side your team if need be build the skill sets you need to build your business yourself. By learning to build your business yourself you then become a leader. Thanks for the article.
Sep 29th 2010 at 7:14 PM by itsup2u
This is a fine article as most you write are. The older generation were wise and most worked hard to obtain their goals.Enjoy the HBP site and the prizes you give. Thanks
Sep 26th 2010 at 11:34 AM by JohnnyKid
Great post, lulubel! :) I'm just sad you left me out...i'm one of those "people hiding anonymously between usernames", ahah! Well, i'm behind one and it's already too much... The way i make money online, i don't need a brand, nor to belong to a team. Actually, i feel like the websites i work with are a team. Some people call it "tools". I like peace and quiet. I hate routines and expectations, that is why i chose to work from home instead of working for someone. And for the government. I don't promote anything, why brand myself? Don't ask why i have affiliate links on my articles though...we all know they're just rantings...happens on rainy days. That's when i spend most of the time checking things up, like IMFP's mailbox, packed of "I turned millionaire overnight, now it's you turn! Join now" bull. If you understand the concept behind that ad, you don't need to brand yourself or be part of a team. I understood, the hard way, a very important factor on online money-making that lulubel points out very well, drop-out rate. Every one is so "wooooooot" when they join, but the next day they already forgot all about happens a lot when the reward is cents or credits. I had to find a way to overcome it if my objective was to not work for someone. It was and i did, i stopped promoting and started selling! And since i don't sell anything of mine...again, why brand myself? But, hey, i'm just a grinning, curly tailed cartoon, hiding a brain with a capsule around it, don't take my word for it! -_O
Sep 26th 2010 at 3:50 AM by elissa64
I liked this so much I shared it on Facebook. (Will be surfing at HBP today, too!)
Sep 21st 2010 at 7:36 PM by walterm
It amazes me how many people hide anonymous between usernames, stock images and fake identities. Especially if you're active in social media like IM Faceplate personal branding is key.
Sep 20th 2010 at 11:15 AM by zzoltan
Great article.Thanks for sharing this.I agree ,the personal branding is one of the more important thing in online marketing.
Sep 20th 2010 at 3:05 AM by honesty
An excellent article Louise. It has many points to ponder, and yes your grandfather was a wise man.
Sep 20th 2010 at 2:46 AM by catarinaberg
This is a great article! I read it several times. I keep coming back to what your Grandfather said: ..."In your first year, you'll make a loss. In your second year, you might be lucky and break even. In your third year, if you're REALLY lucky, you might start to make a profit."... Only hard work - right mindset and right tools will make you succeed. I don´t know why so many people Online ignore the "common Rules" in Business Offline... Instead of using them and apply them to the Internet marketing - people seem to think there is a shortcut... Thanks again for a great article on a important topic!
Sep 17th 2010 at 8:47 PM by Healthsmart
Your Grandfather was wise.This article makes you want to sit down and make a plan that will last for 3-4 years. [Ever get people asking what do you suggest for the fifth year]!! Ha Ha I'm going to surf now at Hits Booster Good article.
Sep 12th 2010 at 3:12 PM by deewest
Good Article
Sep 9th 2010 at 10:13 AM by successcalls56
I really like this article, it has me thinking big time about how important it is to be patient, have a plan, and build relationships.
Sep 9th 2010 at 7:37 AM by click_n_bid
Very educative! I'll be back to learn more from you about personal branding. Kudos!
Aug 29th 2010 at 7:42 AM by blackfolder1
What an excellent article Louise! I myself brand myself with my domain name. (I have several domains, but most include my name in them). It is so important even when marketing an affiliate website to BUY YOUR OWN DOMAIN NAME! Don't just use the affiliate link- that says "I really don't know if this program works because I didn't believe in it enough to buy a domain name for it but I want you to join it anyway!" Branding yourself or your company with a domain name is not the expensive and it is so much more professional! Plus someone can google your name and find out all about your business from that. And what your grandfather said, Louise, is SO true! Doug Abney
Aug 28th 2010 at 11:32 AM by WonWish
Thanks for the article Louise. I actually am doing both. Most recently I was invited to participate in a newly formed group with the intentions of promoting a relatively recently created opportunity. The promise of entering at the "ground floor" persuaded me to accept the invitation. I soon realized that my invitation was suggested by a client of my website design business, who knew what my SEO skills had meant to his business. I have done a lot of web development work "for the good of the group", but in the process am building brand recognition for the marketing company under whose banner I am promoting everything. Kind of a future pay type arrangement, but it is working well so far. All things considered, I'm glad I accepted the group invitation, it has advanced all of my online endeavors as a result.
Aug 26th 2010 at 7:40 PM by sdot
excellent article. I look forward to more inspiration.
Aug 21st 2010 at 7:31 AM by stevemccardell
I appreciate this, and often share this theme of patience and development over time with my team. I'm going to refer to this article in an e-mail to them today. You might check my article called "More than just Making Money," though, as it indirectly addresses this matter of slowing growth after a while. As we change the business model (referred to in the article with a specific company given as a first example), income for a network can be done VERY differently, allowing even the lowest people in a network to earn. And that's a tremendously different scenario that encourages people to NOT drop out over time.
Aug 20th 2010 at 10:25 PM by catherinedwhite
Enjoyable article. You have an easy to read writing style. Wishing you much success. Cathy
Aug 20th 2010 at 2:12 PM by creade
Great Article Louise. I also enjoy surfing on HitsBoosterPro
Aug 20th 2010 at 12:33 PM by alpi2010
Hello Louise,You know is very useful for me.Thanks. Think Positive!- Dream It!- Believe It! Achieve It - is my principle of Success.
Aug 18th 2010 at 1:58 PM by judycook4
Hi Louise I rally like your article. Isn't it so true to brand yourself. To have a successful business you really need to have commitment, determination, patience and the respect of your peers Judy Cook
Aug 18th 2010 at 1:03 PM by phylma
I agree with you that personal branding is the best road to take. Years back when I started I joined a 'team'. BUT, joined later in the program. The only people who made money were the founders - well, maybe others too - but I sure didn't. And it is a long, hard road. Sometimes you just want to give up... never had that thought personally... I'm not there yet but I will be. Determined and strong willed - that's me! Excellent article Louise. Phyllis McClintock
Aug 14th 2010 at 8:07 AM by RickNauman
Very well said Louise, thanks
Aug 13th 2010 at 11:55 PM by wolfshine
Thanks Louise for the wise words. This is basically the first lesson in marketing, business and life that I've learned many years ago and put into practice everyday.
Aug 13th 2010 at 4:57 AM by fredds
Loved this post especially this bit: "Working for yourself, getting your name and photo recognized, networking and building relationships might be a slower way to make money, but it's a more sustainable way. When the current wave of "next big things" disappears, the relationships you have built, and the people who have come to know you, will still be there." excellent stuff.
Aug 12th 2010 at 4:19 AM by coolindiansurfer
Thanks - Loved the post
Aug 11th 2010 at 9:31 AM by sarojini
Thanks Lousie, for sharing your thoughts.
Aug 9th 2010 at 8:01 AM by bmshepp
Thank you Louise. As a store owner myself I can relate to every word that your grandfather said. It is the truth about branding yourself when you are a business owner it takes years to acquire a customer base that will trust you to make a purchase from you. I really like this article Louise. It is very encouraging.
Aug 9th 2010 at 1:08 AM by kaikauai
Thanks Louise for sharing your thoughts on this topic. With all of the noise out there, the only way we have to differentiate ourselves is by letting people get close to us and get to know us.
Aug 7th 2010 at 11:49 PM by bnmarika1214
Aug 7th 2010 at 12:07 PM by SteveCarr
Great Louise..just Great Just the kind of material we all need to read now and again to get in perspective Steve Carr
Aug 7th 2010 at 2:09 AM by stefanberg
Wow... and Wow again... I been writing about the "New Born again" Team phenomena a few weeks. Some of the other thoughts (promoting you, build your business etc) a few years, but I never been able to come even close to your way of explaining it. Also the 1,2,3 year thing... That was the exact case 4 me. Thank you very much for a Sound, professional article! ... The Best I Have read about... "Promote yourself, and the rest will naturally follow" ...Amen lol ... /Stefan Berg
Aug 7th 2010 at 1:45 AM by m8t43
Hi Loise. Thank you for this wonderful article. I have told this, though not in your eloquent way to my members on numerous occasions. I sure would like your permission to use this article in my next mailing to my TE members. Please let me know if thats OK with you. :)
Aug 6th 2010 at 4:31 PM by ChuckBartok
Thanks Louise. I was also taught (1954) that if you to realize your Dream you just need to share it with Belief and Integrity to all the people you can find that share the same Mind. So a campaign was started to let the World know who I was, what I believed in and what excited me. For the past over half century that simple Plan of Action has offered a FUN and Comfortable Lifestyle. I WAS REALLY flabbergasted when I learned how fast the Internet allows one to be "branded" and at little to no cost compared to other systems (still use the oldies, though.) Thank you for the wonderful article.
Aug 6th 2010 at 1:51 PM by luc2347
Parents and Grandparents are great aren't they! A lot of what mine have said, has stuck with me also. Really nice Article (to the point and informative) Louise! Enjoyed! Lauren