What You Should Do Before Adopting A Dog
So, you have firmly decided to adopt a dog but you don’t know what to start with, this article is right for you. Once you have found out all about a dog that you can find via the Internet, it’s high time to visit a shelter and get acquainted with your future pet. However, it’s not enough just to have a look at it, it’s also necessary to take some procedures in order to see whether it will suit all your needs and meet all your requirements.
- The first step you should take is to see whether your dog is sociable or not. To find this out, put your hand up to the kennel to see if the dog is ready sniff your hand. If the candidate approaches your hand without any visible fear and starts sniffing it, it means that this dog doesn’t have any negative history of communicating with humans and might be your friend and loyal companion. In case the dog starts behaving aggressively like barking and jumping on you, it’s better to steer clear of this animal.
- Try petting test. Carefully, without any sharp movements, try to pet your dog on the back. The good candidate must enjoy this and immediately start wagging its tail. It is also acceptable that the dog will seek more attention from you by jumping joyfully, warmly looking at you, licking and nudging. If the dog doesn’t like when you pet him, moves away trying to avoid your hand, there might be some psychological problems with such animal which will be pretty difficult to get rid of.
- Try food test. Bring some dog food, for example kibbles or biscuits, in order to deserve some trust in the candidate and see how he will react on food. This test is very responsible and you need to know some precautions. First, put the bowl with food on the floor and give your dog time to finish it. Never try to take the food away because there’s a danger of being bitten. While the dog is eating it’s worth talking to him saying simple words like “Good boy”, or “Well done” encouraging him to eat up and not being afraid of your voice.
- Once the first food test has been successfully passed, the next step will be playing with your dog. Take a rubber toy and play some fetching games. The right candidate shouldn’t be nervous and too energetic demanding to continue the game even if you show that it is over.
- Take the dog for a walk. Of course, it is necessary to do it on leash to see how well he can behave wearing this accessory. If the dog is calm and obedient, do not hesitate to adopt him. If the animal starts pulling you like crazy, think twice before making your final decision because it will be difficult to teach him to walk on leash from scratch.
- It’s also necessary to see how the dog reacts on children and strangers. If it is possible, take your child with you, but be careful and do not arrange the direct meeting with the animal. Let your child stay near the kennel and you will be able to see your dog’s reaction. The ideal candidate will be the one, who will greet your child first.
We hope these tips will help you find a good dog for you and your family. In some shelters offering cats for adoption and dogs for adoption you can also use the services of professional trainers and vets who will help you to make up your mind.
|share||like 5||report||99 views|