Leslie | bizsuccesskeys
Check out what someone emailed me. This is like Groupon (Google tried to buy them for 6 billion) It is FREE to register http://pcbdeals.thecustomeradvantage.com/

What is your reason for working online/at home?

Oct 8th 2010 at 8:33 AM

I think it is super important to make it clear to yourself and those you love WHY you are doing what you are doing and what your personal goals are that you are striving to achieve.

When I say "personal goals" I don't mean monetary amounts that you want to make per week, per month, per year.  Yes, that is important but it is more important to answer "why?"

Do you want to earn $100,000 per year or some other arbitrary number?  Why?  What are your reasons for earning this figure?  These reasons can vary but if you don't really know what they are and focus on those reasons how can you focus on the goal?

Maybe you want to pay 2 extra house payments per year so that you can get your home paid off by retirement age.  That is a goal.  Even better, make the goal that you want to relax with your spouse, children, grandchildren in retirement and not worry so much about money.  Work backwards from that very personal goal of spending quality time with people you love and figure out the dollar amount that will make that happen.

Maybe you want to do more traveling.  Why?  Well that one is easy.  Traveling means a lot of different things to different people depending on the reason to travel.  Decide your why then make the goal.

I will share my personal goals and I hope that you will too.

I want the freedom to enjoy the many events and activities that my local area has to offer without worrying about someone else's scheduling needs such as an employer's.  I want to see my friends and family in other parts of the country often and not have to worry about having the time or the money to do so.  I want to travel to new places and experience different cultures at least once per year.  I want to rebuild my retirement account and create a residual income so that I can have a stress-free retirement filled with people I love and doing the things that I enjoy.  I want a new car that suits me more.  I also wouldn't mind a scooter :)

My main theme in my goals I believe is freedom and time to enjoy life.  This is not about money because the reality is, if there is not enough money coming in from one source there is going to be the need to go to another source (job maybe) and that completely takes away from the the goal of freedom and time.

Share your "why" in comments.  It is always interesting to read others' goals and dreams!

Dec 15th 2013 at 4:09 AM by marty
thx for sharing
Apr 8th 2012 at 7:33 AM by TimRR
good one
Mar 29th 2011 at 1:56 PM by igytomas
Yes, the goal itself is not enough. The reasons behind it and real desire to acquire will do :)
Jan 5th 2011 at 8:51 AM by LonnieG
Good article, Leslie. I agree with you that it is about time freedom ... time with the resources to enjoy it! We spend too much time working to pay the bills and have very little left for our family, friends and for doing the things we truly enjoy. Much success to you in 2011. ~L
Oct 12th 2010 at 9:08 PM by bizsuccesskeys
Freesia that is a good one too!
Oct 12th 2010 at 9:05 PM by freesia60
Like the article and my why is to stop worrying about making ends meet - simple:)
Oct 12th 2010 at 6:17 AM by bizsuccesskeys
Catherine, you also have a very clear "why" ... best of luck to you and all of us here to make it all happen!!
Oct 11th 2010 at 6:31 PM by catherinedwhite
I enjoyed your article. You have a very clear sense of your "Why" which should be the determining factor in every day decisions we make. This includes Why are you working online. My Why: I am working to supplement my current income and hopefully replace it. I would like to free up my time so I can spend more with my kids. I want to be able to provide my kids with a college education. At retirement, I don't want to worry about paying monthly bills but want to have a nice residual income which will provide for my every day needs, as well as some travel. Again, I enjoyed this article. Thank you for sharing.
Oct 8th 2010 at 10:43 AM by bizsuccesskeys
Definitely a good reason and I am so happy that the internet is available to you!
Oct 8th 2010 at 10:15 AM by blackfolder1
My reason is that I am disabled so this is something I can do to earn a decent living from. And I truly love doing it!