What are the Features of Cantilevered Stairs?
Cantilevered stairs have become the latest talk of the town. Their appearance, easy installation and variety available have pushed many homemakers to install them in their dream homes. When compared with other types of staircases, cantilevered staircases stand out as something very exclusive. According to a design director, the main reason behind people choosing cantilevered is due to its attractive appearance. Cantilevered stairs are the best option to be installed, to make maximum utilization of space, as you need not include much space for their set-up. These stairs can match any traditional or modern style of décor, and you can get the best varieties from the online portals also.
Can cantilevered stairs be retrofitted?
- Cantilevered stairs are best to fit at an early stage of the house designing. However, if you are planning to get them installed in your existing building then you must know that it can very disruptive.
- If at all, it is a retrofit situation then you will have to hire a structural engineer at any cost, as he/she is going to set all the calculations for the modifications and the type of work that it is to be carried out. For all types of staircases, structural calculations are very important.
- However, while talking about the cantilevered staircase, these calculations are unavoidable, as the supporting wall is the integral part of the staircase.
What is the material of cantilevered stairs?
If you are planning to have cantilevered stairs installed at your place, you can certainly choose from a variety of designs. Most often, these stairs are often seen in metal, timber, glass, natural or casted stone, and they are even made up of composite materials like concrete and Corian. These stairs are easy to install and maintain, and you can surely get high quality materials to build up a cantilevered stair. Stone and chunky timber are usually considered as heavier materials than others.
What is the cost of cantilevered stairs?
The cost of cantilevered stairs depends upon the material that you have chosen. Your choice of materials will have a direct impact on the budget. If you are planning to get timber, then it can actually cost very reasonable. Nevertheless, glass stairs can be very expensive to be installed. According to the designers and other experts, these cantilevered stairs are very different from the standard straight flight and so are their prices.
However, the prices are at least less than that of elaborate helical design. If you are interested in having a feature staircase but do not want to spend thousands of dollars, then cantilevered staircase can be the best option for you. the stairs composed of hardwood timber generally costs more.
Benefits of cantilevered stairs:
- The foremost benefit of cantilevered stairs is that they do not cause harm to any existing structure. Since they are supported from the walls, their installation does not hamper the under floor heating system. This is a very essential consideration when the stairs are installed after the completion of floor and other heating elements.
- Since installation does not take much time, the cost of installation also comes down. And then there is the benefit of several designs and materials to choose from.
- For example, if you have rustic aesthetics in your home, you can go for cantilevered stairs made from timber. On the other hand, if your abode is a lot chicer in aesthetics, glass stairs would probably look best.
It is important though that you choose the right brand, and an experienced contractor for installation of cantilevered stairs, if you want your stairs to be stable and durable for a long time to come.
|share||like 1||report||63 views|