Jon Olson - The T.E. Guy | jonolson
Traffic Exchange Live - Be part of the social revolution! Weekdays 4pm Eastern

Traffic Exchanges Are About People...Remember That Always!

Jul 3rd 2010 at 4:15 PM

People ask me all the time how did I build a business online. What's the secret?

It usually starts by them asking me techy questions about search engine optimization, list building, hosting, web site design and the answer I give surprises a lot of people.

I didn't spend a dime with search engines. I didn't start builing my list until 4 years into trying to make it. I have no idea how to build web sites and my technical knowledge of hosting is well...Limited.

When I started I did something that never seems to be recommended online...

I met as many people as I could...I networked!

Remember, I got started in this business years before there was such things as Twitter and Facebook, back then we EMAILED each other and actually talked in live chat. Pal Talk? Anyone remember that one....

I met people, lots of people. I networked online and offline, I answered emails personally and I hosted weekly seminars that built my name and set me apart from the rest of the community. If you have read anything I have ever mentioned before you know how I urge people to stick out like a sore thumb. This is how I did it. I was VISIBLE and people appreciated it.

Far too many times we hide behind usernames and this kills our businesses. Remember, people do business with people they know and like. People will never 'like' realincome (my username for most programs online) but they do like Jon Olson....Well some do, and a few hate me but ah

I think we need to put PEOPLE back into this business and with the ever changing social media world, this is becoming common place. I still urge people to stick out from the crowd more than ever but now with tools like Twitter, Facebook, Sweeva and IMfaceplate it's important, no it's critical, to be visible!

Personal branding isn't just a 'technique' I used to build businesses online, it's the way I operate daily. It's my business model and it costs nothing to do this. All this stuff, all these social media tools are free....It just takes PEOPLE who have the vision to make it work for them and their business...

Let's go get it!

Nov 8th 2013 at 2:02 AM by marty
Nice article,Thanks for posting it!
Nov 12th 2011 at 10:11 AM by platinumrevenues
great advice thanks Jon
May 15th 2011 at 2:30 PM by BruceBates
This post reminds me of what I have been telling a lot of people lately. The money, is not in the list. The money, is in the community. Having 100k people on a list may seem like a great feat, but if the other guy only has 10k and he actively communicates with them, instead of just blasting link after link, he will make just as much if not more then you will with 100k.
Jan 20th 2011 at 8:46 AM by nostate
Jan 14th 2011 at 6:51 AM by togrul
Great article Jon, Thanks for sharing. Branding is really crucial for every internet marketer. Cheers, Togrul
Dec 22nd 2010 at 3:07 PM by GUERRERO
Buen consejo y estaremos ahy dios lo bendiga
Nov 13th 2010 at 10:32 AM by bjfoot
Hi! Jon... Great article! When we get down to it, getting to know people and cutting thru everything else, is what it's all about. Building a name that people know they can trust goes miles in business.
Sep 9th 2010 at 9:38 PM by edcabrera
If you want to know who you are you should use your name or at least a nick name, that's what networking is about meeting people.
Sep 8th 2010 at 6:41 AM by DonaMWoodley
Thank you for this article. I began using internet marketing a few months ago. I was taught incorrectly, thus my methods were/are incorrect.I wasn't going anywhere fast. Then I began to brand myself a few months ago.More people respond to my post now. A few even went to my website. I will keep it up for sure now that I've read your good advice.
Aug 21st 2010 at 6:01 PM by smhwrite
I agree. We must design our sites so that people can be social. Otherwise people begin to feel they are alone. Provide the tools and they can begin to build relationships, work together ect.
Aug 14th 2010 at 8:42 AM by netpreneur
Bang on Jon! People come to work and do business with people they know, like and trust. Thanks for the article and for being a "poster boy" on how to do it right.
Aug 13th 2010 at 5:42 AM by VTMadePro
Jon, you are so right. It is funny how sometimes, as much as we depend on the social media and social networking, that we forget the social part. We forget that, well, people are people, too.
Aug 10th 2010 at 4:40 AM by rhondamorton
Thanks Jon, Always the PILLAR OF INSPIRATION! ;) Have an awesome day everyone!! Rhonda
Aug 9th 2010 at 3:51 PM by TerriLPattioMLMmento
I will add this Jon. Being in business, as you said involves having a relationship with someone. It's not a sales business, there are far too many people that are trying to sell people stuff before they get to know someone and they wonder why they're not successful. People want to jump right in and never spend the time on getting education, or the skills needed for success in business. Let's face it the majority of people want to turn a quick profit. Which is, usually not good when it's all said and done. It ends up costing them a whole lot more. Like their integrity and reputation. No shortcuts, get the education and skills needed for success first. That would be your best bet. You can get it here for FREE!
Aug 1st 2010 at 4:03 AM by Calypso
An eye opener in deed! Thanx.
Jul 31st 2010 at 10:52 PM by coolindiansurfer
The TE Guy, rather King
Jul 30th 2010 at 7:42 AM by fredds
Great article Jon. Branding oneself, building relationships with customers and prospects is the lifeblood of all successful businesses and guarantees their continued success over time.
Jul 27th 2010 at 11:07 PM by thebananarepublican
According to Jul 24th 2010 at 5:28 PM, IM Faceplate needs a preview button for comments. Shalom [+] to you, Jon Bret Cain (a name. har, har)
Jul 24th 2010 at 5:28 PM by onqglobal
jo, onqglobal= james l burnett jr 100% X 100, it's why I couple the usage of my [call-sign, if you will_ along with my actual name] Plus I attempt to always include my actual name in all messages not matter how strange that may appear to be in a 21th century attitude. Throughly appreciative of actual real life talk, I think you get my meaning... tuvm, Continue Prosperously, james l burnett jr onqglobal | im faceplate lennis = onqglobal | trafficera by the way, though I never have before now lennis is my mid-name, if you're not at trafficera follow me there via:
Jul 13th 2010 at 9:40 AM by d4k9z
Interesting read and very wise words Thanks for posting it!
Jul 11th 2010 at 4:46 PM by MarkHodgetts
Hey Jon. Brilliant concise article. Social media is the way to build your brand, and when you back that up with an integrated advertising campaign using such mediums as Traffic Exchanges & Safelists then you will ultimately succeed. Do you think there is still a place for traditional forum networking?
Jul 10th 2010 at 8:40 AM by dailyprofit
Yes this is very true. The people are the most important when it comes to traffic exchanges. Branding yourself is what sets you aside from others and yes standing out is a key factor to gaining success.
Jul 6th 2010 at 11:40 PM by zeus8894
We may be separated by a set of computers and wires but everything we do online is about people and will effect them. The best brand one can build is one of honesty, respect, an fairness. Even in Sweeva where we give insight and reviews on each others pages. It is far better to be honest, and fair then to shortchange a friend or be one of those copy and paste fake just after points. In the end the other marketer will remember when your advice and friendship turned their business around.
Jul 5th 2010 at 3:10 PM by cashmaker
Nice article, Jon! The online world is changing in a fast and furious way these days. Keeping up can be a chore at times but the networking aspect HAS become the #1 priority for this online marketing world. Have Fun! Rick Wilson aka CorpRebel 8-)
Jul 5th 2010 at 7:33 AM by harryf
True it is about people, But at the same time, traffic exchanges are about advertiseing , and a lot of member's feel that they only need to add their site to the exchange once their ad's are placed, then they just need to move on find another place to place their sites, then rinse and repeat Now if all member's followed this way, then just who do they think is going to look at the site's thatare there waiting for some eye's to take the time to stop and look!
Jul 4th 2010 at 1:04 PM by stefanberg
Thank You for a gr8 article. "people do business with people they know and like" ... I agree, People buy from ppl and ppl buy the brand they like. True there are many many ways of stick out now days. More Tools, social networks and stuff. Also More ppl to reach and more ppl to compete with. All this makes it even more important to brand YOU, stick out and give ppl a reason to work with you. Buy your stuff... /Stefan Berg "Every Click Counts"
Jul 4th 2010 at 12:48 PM by Barry30
Excellent article! Exactly what I did when I first started SFV, hid behind a username. It was a big mistake and over the past few months I have been more "out there", interacting more with my members and networking. The result? A better business.
Jul 3rd 2010 at 10:59 PM by vitalwebs
Excellent point, Jon. Building relationships with customers and prospects is the lifeblood of all successful businesses.
Jul 3rd 2010 at 7:26 PM by stop_world_hunger
Great job enjoyed the read Jon
Jul 3rd 2010 at 4:29 PM by drknlvly6781
This is a great article. There would be a lot more people to make money online if they would only remember there are people that you are trying to reach behind those computer screens and keyboards!
Jul 3rd 2010 at 4:28 PM by Rammesh
Thanks to remind me Jon, a good advice to online marketers and whoever interested in online business