marksseo

To Follow or not to Follow... That seems to be the question...

Sep 22nd 2010 at 8:27 AM

I would like to give my take on the "Follow or not to Follow" Debate and get your feed back as to what I have posted...

I tend to be of the mind set that any opportunity you get to follow someone, whether it be here in IM Faceplate or any other social network site is a MUST DO..

The one exception to the rule, well at least my rule, is that I take every opportunity I have to follow someone unless they are obviously just there for spam. You can usually spot these accounts easily because they will have multiple accounts with the same Photo or contact details.  Other then that I try to follow as many people as I can and these are the reasons why.

1. If I follow them they may follow me
2. If they follow me then that is a potential sale, lead, contact etc...
3. I may be able to meet someone who can help me and mentor me into gaining one more residual income.
4. The more residual incomes I get the more my total monthly profits are!!!
6. More followers means more eyeballs on your blogs, referral links, as well as yourself
7. I have met a ton of friends so far and have developed a good relationship with many of those new contacts

The positive reasons are to many to count really and how can there be a downside really?

By following people I have helped grow my monthly income, meet tons of awesome people, while at the same time branding myself.

I do agree that I despise people who follow you only to spam the crap out of you but you can always block those members asap and don't forget to report them as spam each time to help everyone else who uses these type sites in the correct manner can have a better experience.

May 17th 2011 at 10:13 AM by BruceBates
This is a wonderful look at the other side of the fence. Great post my friend.

Personally what I find is that if I follow everyone and anyone as long as they appear real and not spammy, is that I start getting message from dozens of people offering me the exact same sales pitch in to some business.

I prefer to focus only on my own business. I prefer to let others work on their own business. In the process I only connect with people who share advice I find to be useful.

I also only share advice I find to be useful with others. I NEVER sell anything unless specifically asked.

Sep 27th 2010 at 9:48 PM by roblawson
The Topic rages on - all interesting points of view.

Sep 27th 2010 at 2:40 AM by haroon132
Wow Great Article Mate! I loved this debate as well and I agree with all of your points so I tries to follow as much as possible as well :D

Sep 26th 2010 at 7:10 PM by marksseo
Thanks... I have tweaked how I "follow" people, thanks for all the suggestions... It's always a big + if you can maximize your efforts in any part of your over all business plan.

Sep 25th 2010 at 10:51 PM by catherinedwhite
It looks like you have started a good debate. So I think I will put my 2 cents in on this conversation. To follow: I will usually look at the persons posts. If it is just link posting with no content, I will pass. If you want me to follow you, give me some good content. I want to learn. Which is why I like your point: "5. I can find about hot new programs and get in early to maximize my profits in the various profits streams that I have." If you are in network marketing, you have to keep an open mind and keep looking for opportunities. Now, I am not a band wagon jumper but you can learn how to promote your primary business by finding out what attracts you to other programs. Always learning is a big key to success. Not To Follow: You have one business name as your user name. EXample: powerpathgdi....nothing against gdi but I know what all those posts are going to be about. Just a couple of my reasons To Follow or Not To Follow. Great Topic Mark.

Sep 24th 2010 at 10:30 PM by schmity58
Nice article i agree spamming is just aggressive marketing and no one likes yo be sold.

Sep 24th 2010 at 7:47 PM by AbdeelMarketing
Good Article Mark. I agree that every connection is potentially a mutually beneficial relationship. The biggest thing I've had to deal with, not so much here but at swom, is people who hit you with a link on first contact. That gets irritating, but I've gotten to where I just reply with a link of my own.

Sep 24th 2010 at 6:48 PM by marksseo
I can honestly say I have signed up for 2 different sites from reading blogs here @ IM Faceplate that I have upgraded in. In doing so gave my referrer some type of commission which added to their profits for this month and probably a few months down the road, so the total made could be huge if talked in terms of value of the total commission made from the sale or lead gained from using this site.. Hope that helps!

Sep 24th 2010 at 5:27 PM by igytomas
Good point Joe, however. There are so many spammers using 'any' picture they feel good for the purpose and false identity. You need also take a closer look on their post, info and anything one provides if you want to minimized their impact on your profile. But it takes time, so we compromise. On the other hand, any traffic is pain, good and targeted traffic is what we are looking for. I'm not really sure about profiles and sites like this one in terms of getting potential customers. I have a feeling that 99% people here are marketers getting nowhere with sales because we are all marketing to the ... wrong audience, other marketers. Well, you me have different experience but I'm curious how really this site can attract customers looking for products being on the offer here. Just a question - Have you, any one, purchased any product here or you just promoting your self and selling?

Sep 23rd 2010 at 6:30 AM by marksseo
It is sad that there are so many people who want to scam or spam people who want to do the right thing. Good point though as I am weary of following people with no pic as well.

Sep 22nd 2010 at 7:32 PM by joehuguenard
Nice article Mark... it makes sense... though I do have a bit of a different opinion on who to follow.

I've learned that, in most cases, people who don't place their actual photo or real name are just trying to hide... whether hide themselves or hide their identity because they're trying to scam people and not be identified.

I do follow a few with only usernames or icons for photo's, but only those I've met in other forums and do know who they are.

I definitely suggest a real photo and name, which helps build trust and personal relationships, which should be the main goal of anyone in business.

Sep 22nd 2010 at 4:03 PM by TimRR
That is a good article..Well done

Sep 22nd 2010 at 9:21 AM by marksseo
Very good point! Being pushy with people never works... I also despise people who try to shove things down my throat no matter what it may be...

Sep 22nd 2010 at 9:15 AM by GTBulmer
Hello, Mark: I like your point of view. Thanks for posting your thoughts and providing the insight. I typically follow most people who follow me (other than obvious spammers, as you have pointed out). Occasionally (on other Social Networking sites), I have chosen NOT to follow someone with extreme political or religious views, or someone who expresses a lot of hate, or someone who uses blatant profanity. But most of the time, I am tolerant if people are reasonable and balanced in their comments and activity.

On a site like IM faceplate where the general theme is "Internet Marketing", I follow almost everybody who follows me! And for the reasons you have expressed here very well. :-)