· Philippe Moisan

My name is Lisa Simpkins and I have been working online for 15 years now. I have gained enough knowledge over the years to work in many different fields in online business.

My Specialty: Social Networking and Administration:
Content provider, database, public relations, member recruitment, marketing manager, link marketing and community management.

Other areas of interest:
Blogging, advertising, business branding/personal branding, mentoring, training one-on-one, SEO, product creation, RSS and web site creation.
Lisa Simpkins | lisasimpkins
This is the perfect time to learn, study, and synthesize your knowledge.
2 years ago

The Key To Self Discipline

Sep 6th 2010 at 6:15 AM

Self discipline starts with the ability to control your behavior. That means motivating yourself to do what you need to do, and stopping yourself from doing things that are bad for you. The "ability to control" is just the start, though, and real discipline is when you have trained your mind in such way that you consistently get the behavior you want.

Discipline may appear to be a problem of willpower. However, this implies just pushing ourselves harder to do things, even when we feel miserable, or fighting temptations. It's a good recipe for stress and disappointment, but there are better ways to a disciplined life.

Self Discipline Tips

Have you ever stayed up all night talking about something interesting? Then you know what power the mind has over the body. Sleep can be put off when we are motivated by a passionate discussion,and it doesn't take much willpower to keep doing something when you are enjoying it. That gives us a key to self discipline.

Try to enjoy what you are doing and be energized. Your willpower goes up and down with your energy levels, so play energetic music, move around, laugh, and look for the interesting parts of whatever project you are working on. Once you identify your best energy boosters and motivators, make a list, and train your brain to use them whenever you need discipline.

Make things easier on yourself. If you feel stressed when you think about doing your tax return, for example, don't think about it! Just lay out the forms where you can work on them later. Later do just one form, and then another. Whatever the task at hand, you can find enough motivation for some small step. Start training your mind to take that step as soon as you think of it, and the next steps become easier.

Self Discipline And Self Awareness

What if that cake calls to you. Sometimes it's hard to resist temptation, right? Willpower is a nice idea, but here is a simpler solution: stop standing in front of the cake! It is an easy lesson to understand, so train yourself to apply it habitually. Don't keep beer in the house if you don't want to drink it. Don't go alone to the bar if you want to maintain a faithful marriage. Just stay away from people that lead you to trouble.

Discipline doesn't mean being immune to temptation. Go ahead and develop the willpower to say no, if you can, but why not also have the wisdom to avoid temptation? Know where your resistance is low, and don't put yourself in those situations. Does this make more sense than fighting useless battles with yourself?

Fighting feelings is a losing battle. It's far more effective to learn about yourself. How are you energized and motivated? Where are your strengths and weaknesses? Learn about yourself, and start using what you learn to make the behaviors you want easy. That's the key to self discipline.

Lisa Simpkins

"Your Social Fame Network"

Jan 3rd 2011 at 3:22 PM by lisasimpkins
Thank you Mr.Success your comment is greatly appreciated.
Jan 3rd 2011 at 5:48 AM by mrsuccess
Hey Lisa, that's a very good written article - I really liked to read it and I definitely do agree with you. All the best - Andre
Jan 1st 2011 at 6:37 AM by lisasimpkins
Thank you Darwin it is appreciated.I would like to invite you all to Our Masterminds Group in Facebook..!/home.php?sk=group_168294983190305&ap=1 Hope to see you there!!
Dec 31st 2010 at 4:52 PM by itsDarwin
Good article Lisa. Self Discipline is an absolute in this business.
Nov 5th 2010 at 7:30 AM by fredds
Rule your mind or it will rule you... fascinating.
Sep 8th 2010 at 10:00 AM by lisasimpkins
Hi Terry, Indeed,I always treat myself after an accomplished discipline weather it be a quiet read in front of the fire or just taking a stroll through the park and viewing the beauty."Reward yourself for your accomplishments" Thank you, Lisa
Sep 8th 2010 at 9:46 AM by TerryHoneyman
Great article, Lisa! I've always been more into self-gratification than self-discipline, but now that I'm older, I certainly see the value in discipline ... which is why I'm constantly working at it! It certainly comes into play when I feel like giving up on something, so what works for me in these instances is to tell myself "just keep moving ... just take one more step" ... etc. When I discipline myself in small increments like that, it really helps! Thanks for your suggestions, I'll practice incorporating those as well.
Sep 7th 2010 at 8:37 PM by phmoisan
Indeed, Nico, I like your trick. But I don't trust myself enough to try it. :(
Sep 7th 2010 at 7:45 PM by lisasimpkins
Hello Beth, You are most welcome and thank you for the wonderful compliment. "Rule your mind or it will rule you." — Horace
Sep 7th 2010 at 7:41 PM by lisasimpkins
I like that resistant tactic Nico very well thought of plan.We are self taught creatures and to resist is not easy,especially with tremendous temptations like Ice Cream..LOL
Sep 7th 2010 at 7:10 PM by bethschmillen
Hi Lisa ~ I really appreciate what you wrote. Very well said and one is never too old to learn the key to self-discipline! thanks, Beth
Sep 7th 2010 at 6:37 PM by turtle0733
Nice article, I am a bit fat myself and try to lose weight and build will power. I love Ice cream and to teach me to resist, I bought my favorite one, put it in the freezer, I force my self to open the freezer once a day and look at my ice cream for a few seconds before closing it again ( without eating the ice cream of course lol). Since I started doing that it has become so easy to say no to the little everyday small temptations. Everyone has their own little tricks. Good luck to you all. Nico
Sep 6th 2010 at 7:10 AM by yhbecpublisher
Thank you for having the words to show people how to discipline themselves properly 8-D Soroya