Lora Lee | freebielandgateway

Promote ME?! Really? (Ask Yourself These Three Questions)

Aug 9th 2010 at 12:49 PM

"Promote ME?!  Really?"  That was my first thought provoked by reading an article on personal branding.  Of course it only took about 2 seconds more for the "aha" moment to hit, and only about another 2 seconds before I was wondering why I hadn't thought of it myself!

Of course I knew I had to do it, but initially I felt a little awkward and shy about putting my face and name all over everything.  It felt a little egocentric, regardless of the reasoning behind it (building trust, giving a personal touch to your ads, etc.).  Then I had to ask myself three questions... if you haven't asked yourself these questions, you need to stop and do so immediately, or the whole personal branding thing could backfire on you!

1.  Do I really believe in what I'm promoting?
2.  Do I stand behind what I'm promoting 100%?
3.  Am I promoting it truthfully and honestly?

If you answered no (or even "maybe not") to any of the questions above, then why in the world would you want to put your face or name to it, let alone promote it at all?  Your picture and your name could be associated with something dishonest or simply not worth others' time.  If you' simply don't know enough about a program you're promoting to answer these questions, then it's time to do your homework... really look into who's running it and how they're running it.  Does the program really have the potential to help people?

I believe that anyone with half a soul who's implementing personal branding is indeed asking themselves these questions, and perhaps the internet marketing community could see more honesty and integrity in the future because of it.

How did I answer the questions myself?  Well, there were a couple of  programs  that (for various reasons) I kicked to the curb because I realized if I wasn't willing to put my own personal brand on them, they weren't worth promoting.  The rest of them I now gladly brand with my pic, my name, and even my contact email address!  I want people to feel that they can hold me accountable and come to me with questions or concerns regarding my programs.

So..... Promote me?!  Yes!  Promote you, too!  I've seen a definite increase in business already from just a very short period of personal branding in my internet marketing and advertising.  It's effective, it's smart, and it makes every ad more attractive and more interesting to your viewers and readers!

Dec 30th 2010 at 12:53 PM by LonnieG
So very true, Lora! Thanks for saying it so succinctly. ~L

Oct 28th 2010 at 8:55 PM by HappinessOnTap
Love it! I am my business. It doesn't even turn off when I sleep. Great article Lora!

Sep 9th 2010 at 9:10 PM by incomepowerboost
Very good article you make some really good point. I am very picky about what I promote and truly believe in it. That’s why I don’t join and promote multiple opportunities like a lot of people do. I believe if you have the "right one" you only need one program. I also explain why programs work and some don't. Also I am not just saying here join this but also explain why you should and why it will work for the average person that’s may not be a “super recruiter” to get the best ROI for time invested.

Sep 7th 2010 at 11:55 AM by phmoisan
Hi Lora, I try to abide by these 3 points myself. I think it's unavoidable if one wants to be there long term. Thanks for the article.

Sep 7th 2010 at 11:38 AM by DonaMWoodley
Hi Lora! When I first began marketing an affiliate program I didn't want to put my name on it until I got a good understanding of what the company was about as far as integrity is concerned. I am so glad I didn't do it. I pushed it and got lots of sign ups, but then the company became unsavory. I am s glad I didn't put my face on that one! Now, since I've completed my book and built my website, my name and face is all over it. I promote it as much as I can. I feel the same about a company I became a member of...since I am all about helping others, this company is a perfect fit for me and they have a stellar reputation as well.

Sep 1st 2010 at 8:41 AM by yhbecpublisher
Wow Lora, fantastic attitude to have! Wonderfully written article about why one should use personal branding to show integrity in business. 8-D Soroya in South Australia

Aug 18th 2010 at 1:41 PM by jamereihn
Great Attitude !!!

Aug 11th 2010 at 4:32 AM by fredds
I,ve also just come around to grasping the importance of promoting "ME." I was initially sceptical about the whole thing but then I began to think about the 3 questions in your article, that is whether I truly believed in and was fully behind the products I was promoting. Upon thinking about this, it did not take me a long time see the importance of promoting "ME" and finally "getting it."

Aug 9th 2010 at 5:43 PM by ed17hunt
Great article, I agree with you 100%. There are so many different offers out there and ways to make money and unfortunately there are also scams and many of the scams have no name or contact information which is a good indication it IS a scam. One of the first things I look for is, did the person put their name and contact information, including a photo is a plus, and if they have then I feel it is going to be something I can trust because like you said it is YOUR information so it is YOUR reputation and I don't think an honest, successful person would be willing to risk all of that by promoting a bad product or business.