Rex Harris | rexharris

In A World Where SILENCE Is Not Golden

Feb 26th 2011 at 11:26 AM

Can you imagine how you would feel were you to introduce yourself to someone, in a social environment, only to have them turn their nose up and walk away?  Let's use church, as an example...

... it's Sunday morning.  As you are greeting others before the service you notice a new family walk through the door... people you have never seen before.  You can't help but notice that no one has gone over to greet them so you take action.

Approaching the man of the family, you extend your hand and say "hi, my name is Bob, it's great to see you here... welcome."  However, your gesture does not seem to register.  Not only does the man not return your attempt to shake his hand, the whole family walks right passed you like you weren't even there.

Now, take a moment and think, regardless of the social situation, what type of impression that family would have just made on you.  It's not favorable, is it?

Now, imagine what happens when someone sends you an instant message, or a post on your profile, that offers the same greeting... and you just choose to ignore it and not reply.  What type of impression are you making on a community that you are obviously interested in doing business with?

You never know when that one connection will come your way that could be THE contact that takes you to heights of success only spoken of by a select few in the IM industry.  When you snub and shun people, as happens so many times on the social networks, IF you shun the wrong person... and they tell their friends, and they tell their friends and they tell their friends... you see what I mean?  Your name could be mud before you ever knew it happened.

Places like IM Faceplate, APSense, MyNetworkingPro, Facebook and others are called social networks for a reason... they are SUPPOSED to be social.  They were not set up as ad boards where you just log in, plaster ads and sales content to your profile and then hope for the best.

Most people will run from a used car salesman and that's EXACTLY how most Internet marketers portray themselves.  They come across as wheelers and dealers who are only pretending to be interested in your success so they can put a few dollars in the bank.

If you want to find success in the social media then be social.  Share what you know, engage in conversation, participate and don't be afraid to give great value.  It will make a world of difference.

Cheers!

Rex

Mar 8th 2011 at 5:03 PM by LonnieG
It is very true that people buy from people they like! We have always taken the time and effort to get to know the people we have worked with in other types of work, so online marketing or social media marketing can benefit from us getting to know each other too! Thanks for a great article, Rex. ~LonnieG

Feb 28th 2011 at 7:20 AM by NinaNestoroff
I totally agree with what you said, Rex, and I know that I am guilty sometimes of not responding. It's usually because I'm doing a hundred things at once. Not an excuse, I know...

And I'd like to make another point... Imagine that same scenario and Bob walks up to the family and says "Hi my name is Bob and I've got to tell you about this terrific soap I have. You do use soap, right? Well, come on and let me show you how you can just change where you buy your soap and you'll just love this soap and you can get all your friends to buy from your store. What did you say your name was again? Yeah, that's great, now back to my soap. It's blah, blah, blah..."

Be SOCIAL, get to know the people you meet, don't just hit them up with your business. You don't like it when it's done to you. Don't do it to them.

Feb 26th 2011 at 10:01 PM by doddee
Hi Rex :)

Feb 26th 2011 at 12:46 PM by ed17hunt
Great point Rex, my big mistake is forgetting to sign out and set myself to being Away then people think I am online and ignoring them when I really just stepped away so it is important to remember things like that or people will think you are ignoring them.

Feb 26th 2011 at 12:22 PM by billrowe
Outstanding Rex! A great analogy of communicating on social networks. We all need to hear this sort of thing and then apply it. Thanks for a great article! Bill

Feb 26th 2011 at 12:02 PM by deewest
Another Great Article Rex Keep the Articles coming.. I have been enjoying reading them Have an Awesome Weekend (Don't forget to send me that video link) Dee