Groups
· Faceplate Features
· IM faceplate Fans Unite
· Opportunity Overload?
· Prospecting
· IM vs MLM

Interests

I am Bill Gelwick, Social Media Strategist, writer, marketing specialist and one of two founding partners at http://MuchSocial.com

Social Media has become quite the Buzzword in recent years, but there is a reason for that. Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn are the new ABC, CBS and NBC.

Yes, I know everyone likes to focus on Social, but the other half of that is Media. These are still media channels, they just happen to support two way communication, which is the paradigm shift of our day.

Previously, Media meant being talked to. Now, it's a two way conversation. We have come to expect to be able to interact with a brand, and get response quickly. Studies show that Twitter users expect a response within 30 minutes when they engage a brand, especially with customer support issues.

Before, you could talk to the TV (You know you have done it), but it didn't' respond. @Reply to a tweet though, and you can get a response from someone in almost any company.

For business owners, this creates some challenges. How do you keep up with promotions on Social Media, managing customer service, generating quality content and still manage to actually operate your business?

That is where we come in. Through our free content at http://MuchSocial.com we provide information to help business owners of all types and sizes manage their Social Media activities.

We will soon be publishing several books on Kindle covering various aspects of doing business on Social Media as well as opening a self paced Social Media course, The MuchSocial Academy.

Stay Tuned for further updates. You will be glad you did. And please "LIKE" our page at the link below for more updates and daily curated content from the top minds in Social.

Bill Gelwick | AbdeelMarketing

Help Put an End to List Abuse

Sep 17th 2010 at 9:05 PM

List abuse is running rampant in the internet marketing world. What do I mean by “List Abuse”? Simply put, it describes someone who sends out multiple emails to their lists daily. Sometimes there are duplicate emails or ones with something in the subject line such as “Resend”.

While responsible use of a mailing list can be beneficial, and quite profitable, abusing the same list can be devastating. If you have ever spent much time around a 3 year old (I’m currently the father of one so if you have not, take my word for it), you know that they tend to babble constantly, often about nothing in particular. It does not take long before you learn to tune out the ramblings. Well, it will not take long for people to tune you out if you are bombarding them with emails. Your list will become more of a liability than an asset as more and more people on it either delete your emails, send them to spam, or take the time to unsubscribe.

Another form of List Abuse is the long-winded email message. An email, especially a promotional email, should be short, direct and to the point. This is not the time to explain the whole offer in detail. Grab attention, and let the landing page give more details. Personally, if I have to scroll down more than 1 or two pages worth, I’m not going to read it. “DELETE”. Some marketers seem to think that, if they give enough information, people will jump on it. Often times, the opposite is true. A small taste, just enough to make them want more, is usually more responsive a tactic. Find an attention grabber and go with it, then realize that some people are just not going to click on it no matter what you say, and move on.

Even if it is not your list, but you are using safelists, the same is true, if not more so. Shorter is even more highly recommended when promoting via a safelist. Most users are just looking for that credit link. You know how many emails are received by safelist members, and when you are going through them, there is no time to read a long email message. You need to grab attention in 3 lines or less, then link to a splash or squeeze page with just a little more info. Remember, people are going through these fast to gain credits. If they click through from there, that landing page can have more information. At that point, you know that this is a prospect that is at least somewhat interested and more likely to read a bit more.

Remember, list abuse is really customer/prospect abuse. Be considerate with your marketing strategies and you will be rewarded.

The preceding Public Service Announcement was brought to you courtesy of Bill Gelwick.

Sep 15th 2011 at 10:57 PM by extremeviralads
I agree absolutely Bill. Those that give away massive amounts of free ads and promise to send all ads every day are the worst IMO. I would not like any one mailing service to send more than an average of 1 per 2 hours. I have a problem with marketers who use independent means of building their list and then send mail with titles "Activation Centre", "Confirm your Account", "Congratulations", etc. And equally, I have a problem with program owners who do not check the mail that is submitted to them before sending it on. They have the FTC laws clearly listed in the ad body, but don't enforce them. In this way they strong disrespect their members. And links in the body...... highly annoying, and some of the "better" services are still allowing it. Great article, thanks.

Dec 6th 2010 at 10:04 AM by LindaFausset
A list is to be nurtured, content is still king. You will get what you give. Peace and Prosperity L :)

Dec 3rd 2010 at 10:42 AM by hanloduplessis
Most annoying in safe list mails are those with hundreds of links in them.

Nov 18th 2010 at 9:15 AM by gerardoantonio
thanks..another article but great

Nov 9th 2010 at 10:10 PM by gerardoantonio
good articles my friend..thanks

Nov 9th 2010 at 9:45 AM by gerardoantonio
thanks..you are helping me a lot

Nov 8th 2010 at 10:14 PM by gerardoantonio
great article..you know ..welcome...

Oct 30th 2010 at 6:28 PM by deewest
Excellent Advice Bill! I agree! I just commented on Soroya's Article regarding this also. Like I said on her face Plate, I agree with both of you. I try not to abuse my privilege as an Admin .. I do not have any other type of Opt In lists .. and I am very careful as to what ones I opt in to. Have a Great weekend Dee

Oct 21st 2010 at 12:45 PM by lulubel
I totally, totally agree. Being bombarded with emails from list owners is my real pet hate. I get enough SPAM as it is without getting a load of junk from people who I thought might have something interesting to say. Long emails, I can deal with. I just stop reading when I get bored. In my own marketing, I try to do exactly as Bill suggests and keep it infrequent, and keep it brief. I loved the last line, by the way!

Oct 20th 2010 at 6:24 AM by AbdeelMarketing
Thanks fro the comments guys. I could not agree more. The social side is where it's at. People do not join businesses, they join people.

Oct 20th 2010 at 6:12 AM by fredds
Its one of the things that drive me crazy sometimes. These numerous spam mails, sent so many times and loaded with affiliate links I really do not need to see. Can we get to know one another first. Experienced and successful marketers like GT Bulmer and BJ Antiques will tell you that we should all concentrate on the social sided of networking first and if done right the money will take care of itself.

Sep 29th 2010 at 12:21 PM by GTBulmer
Hi, Bill: Thanks for highlighting this annoying issue of list abuse. It is being committed by people from all experience levels, from newbies to seasoned pros. I'm with you: we should be considerate in our marketing strategies. :-)

Sep 23rd 2010 at 7:50 PM by AbdeelMarketing
We have the power to put an end to such tactics by doing just that. Unsubscribe, and if there is a place to leave a comment as to why you are unsubscribing, do so. Not trying to be nasty about it, and I am polite when I make such comments, but this is a rampant problem in the IM world.

Sep 23rd 2010 at 12:04 PM by m8t43
Hi Bill. OH I am so glad you posted this article. You covered ALL my pet peeves here. This really needed to be said by someone. I just had an incident where I sent a request to someone, asking her to reduce here constant and too frequent emails to me. I got back a very insensitive email from her to say the least. So as I have watched, she still sends 1 or 2 a day, with just more marketing crap, so my next step will be to UNSUBSCRIBE. Monika