Taking the Appropriate Steps for Moving an Office
Moving an office can seem a daunting prospect, but it is merely a process, like any other process. In which case, it can be broken into a series of small tasks. Follow these steps and you will ensure that moving your office is to budget, on time, and hassle free.
1. State clearly your requirements
State your basic operational and strategic requirements at the outset. You need to have a general concept of what the decision makers really want. So, find out the following before you set the wheels in motion:
- Which city is the desired move to be made to?
- How much space is required?
- When do you need to complete the process?
- What are the necessary key features of the new office?
- What objectives does the move need to satisfy (including growth)?
- What length and type of lease is needed?
2. Put together a team
This is a major undertaking and to reach a successful outcome, a collaborative effort is a necessity. Having the right team in place is critical. Both internal and external members should make part of the team, while a project leader should be put in place as soon as the move has been officially designated. The project leader should:
- Have full trust of senior management.
- Have the authority to liberally act on behalf of the company.
- Have the seniority to be able to make important decisions.
- Have the ability to organize people and processes.
- Be a very good communicator.
3. Start out early
Upon the project leader being appointed, the work can begin. Review of the alternatives can begin 9 – 18 months before lease expiration, irrespective you are looking to renegotiate, renew, or relocate. Allowing for plenty of lead-time is vital as it will increase the leverage you have in terms of your options. And this can result in a particularly substantial saving.
4. Set a realistic budget
This represents a critical planning tool which will help you to assess your overall costs and manage them appropriately throughout the entire process.
5. Hire a good move outfit
Moving an office can be a thoroughly stressful, complex and time-consuming procedure. Working together with a professional move team is a must-do for any company that is in this position. A good move team will guide you and your people through the process and will also save you money, whilst avoiding any critical mistakes.
6. Get legal advice before signing any documents
Your office’s property lawyer can negotiate the lease’s details and documentation in order to minimize your exposure to any potential liabilities.