Body Contouring After Weight Loss Surgery: Is it Advised?
As many people have found out for themselves, weight loss surgery can produce tremendous results. When the body sheds unwanted pounds, however, there are sometimes cosmetic side effects that produce an unwanted appearance following surgery. For some, the solution to sagging skin and other undesirable cosmetic conditions is the use of body contouring and other plastic surgery procedures.
While plastic surgical intervention can make a difference in overall appearance, weight loss surgery patients should be aware of the potential pros and cons that go along with the proposition.
The pros include:
· Improved appearance – Body contouring procedures can remove excess skin pouches and flaps that develop after weight loss that is dramatic. The overall effect is a more “normalized” appearance that is flattering and can make the effects of weight loss surgery more visually pleasing.
· Improved self-esteem – Sagging skin and unwanted bags following weight loss surgery can take their toll on self-esteem much like the weight did in the first place. Correcting this issue surgically can help improve esteem and may make patients feel generally better about themselves.
The cons include:
· The surgery itself – Cosmetic surgery is still surgery, which means it comes with all the risks of complications that other procedures do. It is important for people to fully understand their risks.
· The costs – Cosmetic surgery may or may not be covered by insurance. It’s important to delve into this issue before moving forward with surgical plans.
· The recovery – The process involved with recovering from body contouring may take some time. Patients should be aware of the recovery process and what to expect.
When weight loss is dramatic, the body may not “bounce back” to a sleek, lean form in quite the manner people desire. Body contouring procedures can improve the appearance, but weight loss surgery patients should understand the potential risks and rewards before diving in. To find out more, speak with a licensed healthcare provider about the pros and cons of both weight loss surgery and follow-up plastic surgery procedures.
One of the most experienced weight loss surgeons in the country – Dr. Nick Nicholson – along with a full staff of surgeons, nurses and other experienced clinicians, help patients reverse obesity with LAP-BAND, Gastric Bypass, Sleeve Gastrectomy and Revisions.
|share||like 3||report||38 views|