Sharon | higbee

Eat More Often to Boost Metabolism!

Aug 17th 2010 at 9:42 PM

I have lost 13 lbs in the last 4 weeks by eating more often!  This has worked much better than all my previous attempts at salad-only or other starvation type diets.

It seems that our bodies will practically shut down our metabolism if we let ourselves go hungry.  It is our survival mechanism.  So, by eating small, healthy meals whenever we feel hungry, it tricks our body into "thinking" that there will always be food available.  As soon as we eat (or don't eat) breakfast, our body knows if it can afford to turn up (or slow down) its metabolism.

I have also finally given up on the idea that there is a magic pill, and that I don't have to exercise.  Simply walking for an hour (not jogging or running!) every day (when possible) on a flat surface will help burn those calories and replace fat with muscle.  Since I live in a rural area, I have opted to use my stationary bike, rather than walk.

It is important, when exercising, to keep your heart rate at 65%-75% of its target rate for at least a half hour.  Fat will burn off at this rate, while higher heart rates will use up more muscle to fuel the exercise.

Of course, before starting any diet or exercise program, you should always consult your physician!

Feb 19th 2011 at 9:56 AM by GTBulmer
Hello, Sharon: I really like this concept and it certainly makes sense. As we have been getting older, my wife and I find that we do eat less at meals and we do snack between meals ... and sometimes, it's even healthy snacks! lol GT :-)

Sep 20th 2010 at 4:44 PM by joyee
You are in the right path. Eat wisely exercise smart is the way to stay healthy and fit. Healthy people rarely fat.

Aug 22nd 2010 at 12:38 AM by TimRR
I like this, very good

Aug 19th 2010 at 4:36 AM by honesty
Thanks Sharon, sound advice indeed. I went through Weight Watchers & Jenny Craig diets many years ago. WW was much the same, I ate more than ever, seemed to be eating all day, but it did actually work, so I agree with you. I need to get back on track. I have had some stomach ops & can only eat small & often anyway and haven't exercised as I should. Will get myself going. Thanks for the inspiration, perhaps we can compare later. Val

Aug 17th 2010 at 11:44 PM by onqglobal
tuvm, as I will attest to your findings of more [Quality] in food more often =u'ates to less weight gain, even to actually being on the winning cusp of disappearing ounces accumulating to overcoming victories of lost mass... 2'ya!