Worker Safety Is The Most Important At Construction Sites
Use of horizontal lifeline and similar safety mechanisms is popular in any use in the construction industry. Here, people have to work at elevation on a frequent basis upon scaffolds or platforms situated at heights. This naturally increases the chances of the fall and the need for protective mechanisms and equipments. Such mechanisms are extremely important in situations where work is going on:
• upon structures with the risks of fall over 7 ½ feet
• presence of plates, trusses, thrust outs, beams, or purlins at 15+ feet heights
• more than 7:12 steepness of roof sloped surfaces
One can prevent accidents at the construction work sites through proper use of available mechanisms like toe boards and guardrails. In certain areas, use of such barriers like guardrails may not be feasible though. There the workers need to use systems for protecting fall all effective positioning devices to ensure personal safety. Tie off systems can be of 2 basic types namely:
1. Arrest systems prevent hits with lower structures or levels. It involves the use of body full harnesses, connectors, and anchorage. Besides this, fall arrest may also include the use of lifeline, lanyards, and deceleration devices along with suitable combinations that involve all these.
2. Restraint systems prevent workers from reaching too near the unprotected edges. This involves the use of connectors, anchorages, body full harnesses or body belts. You may also have to use rope grabs or lifelines to achieve the required protection levels.
In situations where optimal safety is not possible through personal equipments or conventional techniques, safety nets are popular. In order to get the best results you should ensure proper checking of the nets and hang them with effective clearance. This way the falling person will not hit any underlying structures or the surface. Place them within vertical 10 feet and maximum 30 feet under working surface. Extension of the nets must be at least 8 feet beyond structure or building. If vertical distance between net and working level is 5+ feet, extension of net need to be 10 feet more than the height of the building. Finally, 10 feet - 30 feet net below work surface must go beyond 13 feet for full effectiveness.
Wherever you use different equipments for safety against fall, make sure that it thoroughly complies with the specifications provided by the regulatory bodies. This will ensure 100% safety with minimal legal concerns for you and your workers. It is possible to enhance the results associated with the construction sites by giving priority to the safety of your employees. Whenever possible install temporary floors, toe boards, guardrails, and other types of physical barriers. This way, your workers will not have to depend completely upon safety nets and tie offs. When the feasibility of these predictive elements is not present, you can rely upon personal protection and safety nets instead. It is important for saving lives and preventing debilitating injuries.
Ensure maximum fall protection safety; keep workers happy and productive at your construction site. Do not forget to visit the website Caisafety.com.
About The Author
Brent Owens is a safety expert who works hand in hand with many construction companies across the country to ensure that employees are always protected while at work. He recommends Caisafety.com as the best name to trust for high quality fall protection systems.