Ellen Thorp | Ellen
"...the way I look at things, a man's life story isn't his alone, but it belongs to a lot of people who have influenced him and done things for him that he can never repay." - Fess Parker
unknown

What Are Remainder Books? Are The Publishers' Junk?

Aug 4th 2010 at 8:26 AM

Are Remainder Books Worthless, Marked up Books that Should Be Ignored at All Costs? Or, are they a Great Bargain for Readers Looking for a Great Quality Book at a Lower Cost?

Let me start by Squashing the idea that Remainder Books are Junk!  They are not!  They are New, Unread books that the Publisher has passed on for Resale.  They are in Great Condition, the Plates are Excellent, The Pages are Excellent, the Dust Jackets are Excellent and the Bindings are Excellent! They Are Brand New Books at a Substantially Reduced Price!

As a Bookseller, I have sold many Remainder Books.  There are a great deal of Misconceived Notions regarding Remainder Books, and I think these terrific books need a little backup!

First let me explain What a Remainder Book is and What a Remainder Mark is. These are books that have a small dot or mark, either on the top or the bottom of the book.  They are on the outside of the pages and do not touch the plates, the inside of the pages, or the dust jackets.

Sometimes booksellers will refer to these books as Bargain Books.  They are one and the same, just a different terminology!

Why Are These Marks Put On These Books?

Sometimes the Publisher Printed too many copies, in other cases Bookstores Purchased too many copies, then returned them to the Publisher for credit towards their next purchase.  The books, therefore, have been handled a few times but are still in Excellent Condition. Many times, these books have sat in boxes, never placed on the shelves of bookstores and therefore have never been handled by potential buyers in a bookstore!

The Publisher, in turn, places a small mark on these books to assure that these books will Not make their way back to the publisher again, for another credit.  The Publisher then sells the books to Wholesalers who in turn pass them on.  This can be a very inexpensive way to purchase brand new books at a slightly lower cost then what they go for in your average bookstore!

Many times, these books are First Editions, and in some cases, even Signed by the Authors! I have sold quite a few Remainder books with absolutely no complaints whatsoever!  I also buy many Remainder books for my own use! I have purchased them from other booksellers and have also purchased them on Amazon!

If you are a "Read-a-holic" like I am, you will discover a huge savings in your book buying!  I highly Recommend these books! I can purchase several at a time and not feel like I have to take out a Mortgage to read my favorite Authors or Subjects!

Why Don't Book Collectors Buy Remainder Books?

Book Collectors are buying books in a completely different light! They are looking for editions that are Rare - very old, out of print books.  Antiquated books and those that Potentially Increase in Value over the years . Quite simply; a Remainder Book has a Mark on it! This would take from the Value of the book down the road.

On a Final Note:

I hope this has cleared the air on the subject of Remainder Books. So the next time you see someone selling a Remainder, I hope you won't get all goose-bumped and go screaming into the night in the opposite direction! You Could be Missing Out on a Great Deal on a Great Book!

Have a Great Day!

Ellen

Visit FelineReader for a Nice Selection of Quality Books at Affordable Prices.

Stop by my Amazon Store for other Excellent Books!

skype me: ellen_thorp email me: ethorp7@comcast.net or felinereader@gmail.com

Aug 30th 2011 at 3:25 PM by Ellen
Oh Thank you. I appreciate it. Yes, writing children stories is a lot fun. It gives you the opportunity to open doors to a great deal of imagination!

Aug 29th 2011 at 3:21 PM by zaugis
Not everything is measured in money - It's great that you write for children. Children is an investment in the future, even if already after us.

Nov 27th 2010 at 7:41 PM by gerardoantonio
hello..i would like to give my book worth 16$ free for you... www.esocialthis.tk

Nov 27th 2010 at 6:33 PM by Ellen
Hi Gerardo, Thanks so much for your comment. I agree, I love books period!

Nov 26th 2010 at 9:20 PM by gerardoantonio
thanks for the article..great.i would say. i am a e-pdf book writer and there is nothing like books,old,new whichever. thanks again www.esocialthis.tk www.esocialtu.tk

Sep 28th 2010 at 2:53 PM by Ellen
Oh, I totally agree Greg. They are wonderful books that unfortunately a lot of people have a misconception of. I also sell remainders and have never, ever run into a bad one. Thanks so much for your comment - I appreciate it.

Sep 28th 2010 at 2:50 PM by thorgrym
I always shop the remainder table when I go to a book store. As a result, I have found quite a few wonderful books that I would have otherwise passed on.

Sep 20th 2010 at 4:02 PM by deewest
Great Job Great Looking Websites! Hope you sell lots of Books!

Sep 20th 2010 at 9:59 AM by Ellen
Thanks so much. I appreciate it.

Sep 19th 2010 at 2:05 AM by cmsolution
Quite informative. Thanks

Sep 12th 2010 at 4:08 PM by judyhwright
Hello from Montana, Thanks for the great article. I, too love to read. Some of the best books I have ever read have been remainders. On the other hand, some of the worst books I have ever read are ones that have been on Oprah. Glad we connected on IMFacePlate. Judy Helm Wright, author and speaker

Aug 21st 2010 at 6:06 PM by NinaNestoroff
You have explained this very well, Ellen. I worked at a used book store, and the owners bought pallets of remainder for us to resell. There were tons of great books in great condition. Were they all bestsellers? No, but still lots of good reads. Thanks for taking time to explain to the uninitiated. Hopefully this will encourage them to grab themselves some great bargains.

Aug 21st 2010 at 3:31 PM by TimRR
Very well put

Aug 14th 2010 at 10:43 PM by Ellen
You are so very welcome! I buy and read them all the time. And boy, you can save some serious money on perfectly excellent books! Glad I could enlighten you. Enjoy and love reading! Reading is Nourishment for the Mind!

Aug 14th 2010 at 9:17 PM by GTBulmer
Hello, Ellen: As an avid reader (and bargain shopper), I found this info on Remainder Books to be very informative, indeed! Thanks for posting and for explaining these books so well. :-)