followers view all
|MclaurinWilliams is not in any groups|
Optical Fibre - A Short Introduction
Introduction to Fibre Optics, theory and principle of Fibre Optics, propagation of light through fibre, Fibre Geometry, Fibre Types.
Optical Fibre is new medium, in which information (voice, Data or Video) is transmitted through a glass or plastic fibre, in the form of light, following the transmission sequence give below:
(1) Information is encoded into electrical signals.
(2) Electrical signals are converted into light signals.
(3) Light travels down the fibre.
(4) A detector changes the light signals into electrical signals.
(5) Electrical signals are decoded into information.
ADVANTAGES OF FIBRE OPTICS:
Fibre Optics has the following advantages:
(I) Optical Fibres are non conductive (Dielectrics)
- Grounding and surge suppression not required.
- Cables can be all dielectric.
(II) Electromagnetic Immunity:
- Immune to electromagnetic interference (EMI)
- No radiated energy.
- Unauthorised tapping difficult.
(III) Large Bandwidth (> 5.0 GHz for 1 km length)
- Future upgradability.
- Maximum utilization of cable right of way.
- One time cable installation costs.
(IV) Low Loss (5 dB/km to < 0.25 dB/km typical)