Masters Degree in Forestry – Study the Nature and Work to Protect the Nature
Forest and wildlife are indispensable to the humans. Mankind needs to protect and preserve the forest instead of destroying it for food and timber. For this purpose, forest service and forest officers were developed to effectively manage the habitat of the wildlife from expected danger.
Forest service in India was first started in 1966 by the Government of India. Students pursued a career in forestry due to the promising career that is offered by the State and the Central Government. A Masters Degree in Forestry will guarantee the student to service for the National Forestry Department which aims to stabilize the environment and maintain the ecological system. Indian Forest College, the first college to provide education on forestry, was established in the city of Dehradun in 1938. This paved the way for many colleges throughout India to offer courses in Forestry.
The graduates are offered job through central and state deputation. The officers are trained in the management of forest and wildlife before being deputed for the job. Field training is offered for handling weapons in the forests. The officers start their career from being a conservator of the forests to the director general of forests. It is commonly misconceived that only professional degrees like engineering and medicine can fetch high salary jobs. The pay scale for forest officers range from Rs.15,000 to Rs.80,000 excluding the grade pay.
Apart from the government jobs, a degree in forestry opens up to many diverse career paths in the world of natural science and resource management.
- Being a forester is the traditional job for forestry graduates. They are responsible for protecting the forest and the wildlife and also for the management of soil and landscapes.
- Wildlife biologists open up the graduates to the world of the wild. Biology and the environment of the animals are studied and research can be pursued for conserving them.
- Government and private agencies employ environmental consultants for counseling on how to use the natural resources without damaging the environment.
- Forestry degree creates opportunities for a career in tree genetics. By research and cross breeding, foresters can create trees which are more resistant to the environmental fluctuations.
- Illegal poaching, smuggling of trees and bioterrorism can be analyzed, detected and prevented by forest forensics officers. This can prevent the ecological disasters that happen in India.
The demand for the forestry graduates have increased due to the various job opportunities provided by the Government and the NGOs that work towards the conservation and preservation of the forests.
|share||like 6||report||33 views|