How to Improve Record Retention for Businesses
Businesses are well aware of effective record retention requirements and you may already have such a system in place. So, is it capable to give you the results you desire, or does it need improvements? As the organization grows and expands, retention needs increase in tandem. Here is what you can do to improve the processes and make it more efficient.
• Purging: this involves removal of duplicate and inactive files from filing active system. It leads to improvement in access time and retrieval. Also, it will minimize floor space requirement however disposal is not recommended at this time.
• Folder Side-Tab System: traditional cabinets and drawers do not have enough space. It also slows down the file refilling and retrieval processes. Shelf-based options require minimal floor space allowing quick retrieval as well. Before investment though, considerations related to cost justification, planning, and file system implementation are important.
• Inventory Records: this helps an evaluation of labeling standards, information flow, and decision-making regarding conversion to Folder Side-Tab System. You may also go for automation by investing in management software for your organization.
• Current State Evaluation: how effective are the current standards of labeling in your organization? It will determine change requirements that will improve filing accuracy and speed. It is worthwhile to consult with people in your organization to decide the most effective labeling method.
• Folder Choices: Business records retention schedule also involves creation of folders for storing and formation. Folder choice will depend upon document numbers, activity, and the duration through which the record will remain active.
• Partitions and Indexes: standardization and organization of documents require use of folders having partitions and indexes. This helps to maintain file integrity and gives you fast access to the file you desire as well.
• On-Demand Labeling: those who want to improve filing system can invest in this cost-effective measure. Such software solution allows printing of single piece labels using laser or inkjet printer. Such labels are 7”-8” long using various styles or types of color codes, barcode labels, address information, and name. Individual hand wrapping is no longer required as demand solutions can produce side tab, alphanumeric and top tab labels with styles differing from one department to other.
• Standardization: this involves use of associated equipments, procedures, supplies, software, and policies. As a result, you will get economies of uniformity and scale throughout organization.
• Implementation Process: such processes, equipment, technology, and supplies are separate for every filing application. Ensuring presence of retention schedule along with file tracking, indexing, bar, color-coding, and file open-shelf shelving are part of this.
• Automation: nowadays, automation is everywhere so you can use software solutions to minimize hassles related to retention processes as well. Choice of packages is available for augmentation of functions, programs, and systems. It is possible to maintain and repair records besides creating schedules, track boxes and files in office for storage. This way, the information you seek will be available at hand whenever you need.
Benefit from the best records retention schedule around by visiting the website Irch.com.
About The Author
Sarah Jones is an expert on business data management and records maintenance who also likes to write many interesting articles and blogs, helping enterprises in coming up with the best business record retention schedule and document preservation guidelines. She recommends Irch.com as the best source of information on the subject.