FAQS Regarding Divorce In Singapore

Sep 7th 2015 at 12:13 AM

divorce lawyer in Singapore

Divorce is a term given to the legal procedure that leads to the end of a marriage.

Whenever a judge from any family court grants a divorce, he/she will offer the Interim Judgment of separation or divorce. It is the first stage or part of divorce procedure that will be followed by next or the last stage.

In the Interim or first stage of judgment, other issues that include matter related to children (if any), maintenance or property doesn’t get settled. These issues are referred as ‘ancillary matters.’

The ancillary issues are mainly dealt only after the interim judgment has been granted, which is a second or last stage of the divorce proceedings.

Who can file a divorce in Singapore Family Court?

In Singapore, divorce law is found in Women’s Charter that one can access through Online Singapore Statutes.

collaborative divorce

It is extremely significant for the one who seeks a divorce to check whether they are eligible for applying for a divorce in Family Court. As, Muslim couples or the one married under Muslim law cannot apply for divorce in Family Court.

How to apply for a divorce?

You need to file a writ for separation from your partner, statement of particulars and claims in Family Courts. You will also require paying correct filing fees.

When you are applying for the divorce, then your spouse is the defendant and you are the plaintiff.

You can either make your divorce paper on your own or with the collaborative divorce lawyer.

What if you can’t find your spouse?

You can proceed with the application for divorce in Family Court. However, the procedure may get more complicated and expensive as the Court still want you to offer the papers of divorce on him/her.

How can one oppose the Writ for Divorce?


If you do not want the divorce filed by your spouse, it is significant that you should follow the correct divorce procedures. If you choose to avoid the court, then it is possible that the Family Court might give the judgment against you without your presence. The orders granted on your children, maintenance and property still bind you even if you avoid the Court hearing.

Please to comment

sign in

Remember Me

New to IM faceplate? join free!

Lost Password? click here